• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

anti matter weapons

Drunken Monkey

a place for mr warp spider to attempt to convince me that anti matter weapons can exist.

so far, none of your arguments hold water.

let's ignore the fact that to even produce a single particle pair is a game of chance. let's say that you have you anti-matter.

you say you can store it in any kind of magnetic field?

this statement alone shows that you do not know what you are talking about.

please prove me wrong.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anti-matter is identical to matter except in the way that it reacts with normal matter. It does not have "anti-currents," and no currents within the antimatter are needed to suspend it. It will be attracted to an electromagnet made from normal matter just as normal matter would be. Thus, it can be contained within a controlled magnetic field.

Though simple to store, scientists to not store it because they have no reason. Though it could be used to make destructive weapons, the big researchers of anti-matter devices are trying to lean AWAY from massively destructive weapons. Building them would also be "dangerous." Not in the sense that it's actually dangerous, because it's only dangerous if something goes wrong. For some reason, however, governments like to assume that something always WILL go wrong, which it usually will not. That, combined with the fact that it's not the be all and end-all of weaponry, is why it is not presently used in weapons. Although reducing a major city to craters would be entertaining, most militaries would prefer to take the structures intact, thus something like a neutron implosion bomb is more called for. Personally however, I prefer the crater route.

There is nothing special or magical about anti-matter. The ONLY difference is it cannot be allowed to contact regular matter. It doesn't have anti-currents, opposite polarity, an inverted arrangement of subatomic particles, or anything.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

it's just that you mentioned using a tokamak, which is why i keep refering to it (the currents).

you said that a tokamak can store anti-matter like it does hot plasmas.

i say you can't because and i am repeating myself here, the fields in a tokamak are dependent on currents within the plasma AND currents in the coils of the tokamak.

and you can't just say that it WOULD be attracted to a normal magent. yes, you are right in that anti-matter behaves in the same way but only if it iexists in an anti matter universe. you cannot mix the two worlds together like that.

you go and say that any magnetic field can hold it but how will you generate this magnetic field? how can you contain it? how can you isolate it from external fields? how do you control it as it is flying to your target? (which is one of your original suggestions)

and anti matter is special. it isn't made up of regular particles but of anti-protons, anti-electrons etc etc. to say that it's only difference is that it cannot be allowed contact with matter shows, once again, that you know not what you are talking about.

quite simply, you cannot contain/store anti-matter easily because first of all, you have to make it and then isolate it. and you cannot use a tokamak like you originally suggested because that would involve measureing it which you can't do without annihilating it.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

and you can't just say that it WOULD be attracted to a normal magent. yes, you are right in that anti-matter behaves in the same way but only if it iexists in an anti matter universe. you cannot mix the two worlds together like that.

I disagree. They are interchangeable, and if I had easy access to a particle accelerator I would gladly prove it.

Also I suspect that a tokamak is capable of containing the anti-matter without the use of any currents within the anti-matter, though that would depend on the exact specifications of it as well as the composition of your particular anti-matter.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

But how does this relate to the reactor core when taveling warp ten? Does the sub-space spectrometer record the subsequent changes inherent when entering and exiting a volatile environment? And, what I want to know, does it hurt to be beamed anywhere?

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

and what proof do you have that they are interchangable?

you can PROVE it? and what degree do you have? astro physics? quantum mechanics? nuclear physics? what experience do you have with this subject?

and exact spec of the tokamak? a tokamak is just a chamber in which a toroidal magnetic field is set up (and this thing isn't small so i have no idea how you would make a small one to hold a pellet of anti-matter).

the spec does not matter as, according to you, any old magnetic field would be able to hold anti-matter.

so now you only suspect it could? you seem to be changing your origninal statement...

if it were that simple, the star trek people wouldn't have to make up a material to contain their anti-matter.

(for the record, the star trek warp speed thing doesn't work... and don't get me started on "beaming"!!!)

why don't you just admit it.

you read about anti-matter weapons from some game and you have no idea what you are talking about.

ok, let's forget the containment thing because i know you cannot provide me any real answer.

let's go back to the most basic matter (~haha~)

just how will you produce your anti-matter?

you say that it is the potential that matters in making weapons. well, i have already told you taht it takes millions of times more energy to create a single particle/anti-particle pair. while this pair does produce more energy in annihilation that what we would normally get from them it is still millions more times less than what we put in to begin with? please tell me what sense is there for this?