21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you learn bunkai at your dojo?

• Yes
    • No
    • What Is Bunkai?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yes, we practice both bunkai and oyo. We then apply the variations to one, two and three step sparring and then to free fighting at a more advanced level.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

yes we pratice bunkai at my dojo it even part of our exam when you are going for your blue belt you need to do 5 bunkai from heian shodan end 5 from heian nidan and so on for your future exams.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

Yes it is at the core of the style I study. not only the the techniques already pulled, but you need to do your own BUNKAI and be able to show its effectivness. You can find that some major movements can be interpeted many ways. Example, I have a great book by Rick Clark called

" 75 down strikes " He shows shows 75 quality uses for a down block/strike.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

Yes, what would Karate be without Bunkai? :o

We have the single applications which you would demonstrate for your BB test, these break down the kata to show the intent of the movements, and also there is a constantly moving full contact type of Bunkai, which when learned correctly and done full speed/power looks like a MA movie scene (except real :P )

we lern some bunkai but thankfully dont put too much stess on it. to be honest i really dont like it and much prefer more realistic aplications to the katas, bunkai only works one set way and is unrealistic but thats just my opinion.

Shotokan Karate - brown belt 2nd kyu

Judo - Yellow belt

Jujustu - recently started, white belt

Yes. From the first practice of the beginner's class. Bunkai is taught in virtually every training and always goes hand on hand with kata.

Basically the kihon (basics) also come from kata, as well as all partner drills.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

we lern some bunkai but thankfully dont put too much stess on it. to be honest i really dont like it and much prefer more realistic aplications to the katas, bunkai only works one set way and is unrealistic but thats just my opinion.

We've got to keep in mind that most of these applications are very old and may be unrealistic, but they just show one way. For instance, the 4th bunkai in Saifa would leave an attacker with broken eardrums, gouged eyes and a broken neck! We probably would not use that today, except in extreme circumstances :brow: But it leads one to wonder what other applications there might be. To me, without the bunkai, the kata become not worthless, but much less important. You've got to know why you're doing what you're doing :D

I agree, Goju. But if you find more "ideal bunkai" for the situation, it might work. You have to find your own bunkai for each kata. Some people's opinions might not work for you, but yours will. Just study what you know, and go "deeper." A block is a strike, is a throw ..... The three months of shotokan I learned with my buddy Ann taught me that. I will always remember that :) Great stuff :)

Laurie F