• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

my feet are slipping

Ti

There is another technique you might try that is quiet the opposite of trying to grip the floor with your toes. Relax your feet as if you were standing in sand. Somehow that provides better traction at times. I am not sure why but sometimes it does help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about trying the stuff you can get to put on your hands to stop them getting slippy with sweat when playing squash and tennis. I have some and it feels like it could work on the feet too, though it might make them too grippy for when doing roundhouse kicks etc. It's some sort of resin in a liquid form that I have.

They sell it in the chemist, I've normally found it on the shelf near the sports antiperspirants. What it is is a liquid which is a gum rosin in solution (or something similar) and you put it on your hands before playing squash, so when you get sweaty hands the raquet doesn't fly out of your grip. When you put it on it doesn't feel sticky but as it dries it leave a non slip surface on your hands.

I don't know what country you are in but in the UK they have it in Boots & Tesco and I've seen a couple of brands on the shelf.

• 1 year later...

That sounds great!

This is so weird; last class (yesterday), I majorly slipped while practicing shuto blocks. My left foot went so far out, a bit more and I would have done a split. Ouch! My feet have always had a sweating prob, but I never thought it would go that far. Yesterday was the first time anything like this happened. How freaky that I would find this subject here and now!

I'm thinking that I could use some talcum powder next time, but what if it makes a paste? Could you imagine my footprints all over the mats? LOL! Oh, man.... not good.

Any ideas of what I could do?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

There are anti-perspirants and then there are deodorants. An anti-perspirant, applied liberally to your feet, may help but make sure it is in powder form. You might want to also try wearing Dr Scholl's socks, with the little rubber grippers on the bottom.

The fact you are slipping alot makes me wonder what kind of floor you are dealing with. Cheap mats can cause this, as well as you possibly having an allergy to the material. I like wrestling shoes as well (mentioned by others), but i do agree it's not always appropriate.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

You won't feel right wearing running shoes. You could try getting some TKD shoes- the soft-soled jobbies - but u should wear socks to keep ur feet nice.

Or you could simply keep drying your feet on the inside of your trouser bottoms - not ideal but a quick flick inside each of your legs and they are dry - plus it looks like ur doing a quick sweep thing! hehe

LOL! That's a great idea! :D

About the shoes, though.... in my dojo, we aren't allowed to wear shoes or socks. I guess my only options are the powder deodorant or wiping my feet on my gi. :)

Ah, well! Thank you all so much for your suggestions!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."