Ti

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know exactly what style you train, but practicing tiger toes might help. In Uechi, we use our toes to grip the ground and secure our base. It takes a bit of getting used to, but your karate will improve because of it.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

I don't know exactly what style you train, but practicing tiger toes might help. In Uechi, we use our toes to grip the ground and secure our base. It takes a bit of getting used to, but your karate will improve because of it.

Good point. We train on a wood floor with no Air Conditioning and in the summer it can get pretty sweaty, but you learn to deal with it. I would advise not going to the crutch of wearing shoes (unless you're not in 'traditional' karate) as there are some toe grips, holds and strikes you will learn later.

But if you have to have shoes, I like Otomix for other sports, and I know they have a martial arts line.

I train shotokan.

I have tried to deal with the sweat.

I literally walk on puddles, the momentum makes me slip.

If I were to seriously train I can slip and fall.

I have to hold back all my punches to not slip and in doing so I ruin the form as well as technique.

I'm going to ask my sensei about just wearing my running shoes.

Many running shoes have a thicker sole. That is the good thing about martial art shoes. The sole is very thin and the shoe completely conforms to the foot.

I also prefer the low profile of the martial art shoe. Most of the wrestling shoes are hi-tops. They provide excellent ankle support, but can inhibit ankle flex in certain moves.

We don't wear MA shoes in class. We have jigsaw mats. But, when we go to camp and are working out outside, they are great. No stickers or thorns :) . I finally wore out my Adidas 2000. Just ordered Adidas's new one.

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=11805&langId=-1&categoryId=10007&parent_category_rn=13501

I am sure the less expensive ones work just as well, but these look good.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

I suggest that since you are training in Shotokan, that you learn how to deal with th slipping through stronger stances. I allow my students (and myself) to wear shoes during outdoor training on extremely rough or rocky groung, during self defense training to better simulate a real situation or if they have a foot condition that would cause a problem for other students. Other than that it's bare feet. I usually don't allow shoes for slipping problems. Try more work on your balance and hitting your stances stronger. You may still slip a little but you won't fall. But I still maintain for times when shoes are appropriate that wrestling shoes work best. If you don't tie them too tight there's no problem with ankle flexion. Good luck.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

To be honest, I've never heard of wearing shoes in karate. What's the big deal? We're not allowed to wear shoes even for outdoor training (makes the feet tougher :lol: ) I say go shoeless - except for reality training for a real situation. Then wear cowboy boots! :D

ive got the same problem because our dojo isnt bamboo or matted. It is polished wood. Somebody help. Because i never slipped and fell over but what if i fall i the belt exam?

Angel

YELLOW BELT Shotokan Karate Ka 5th Kyu

Turkey

Karate is for Self Defense not Offense