• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

POLL: Traditional V. Eclectic

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Traditionally karate was taught in relaxed environment. There were no formations, shouting or posturing until the Japanese began to practice karate. There was hard contact and lots of sweat as students didn't spar but actually fought for real. So if you consider karate a traditional art then I would choose traditional. I'll take Shotokan's bunkai and flanking and Tjimindie's lost track movement over Bruce Lee's shuffling any day. It's easier and more natural when you are going full throttle as opposed to just sparring. Karate, when trained in real time and having it's bunkai fully utilized, is as good of an art as any. The same goes for most Silat forms too. The only thing that may be lacking is the sophisticated ground work of BJJ and the weaponry of FMA. Other than that traditional ToTeJutsu as practiced in Okinawa considers all aspects of fighting and utilizes whatever works.

i would perfer traditional!! :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

There is no reason why the two cannot go hand in hand. We may think of traditional as it is now, but a long time ago, someone had to go a little eclectic and break the rules to even start Karate. The Okinawins had their weapons taken away so that they couldn't fight. They broke the rules and beat the Japanese. To them, some eclectic guy just decided to do some ****. That is why I never put down eclecticism, it may become the standards for the future.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

• 1 month later...

I can't stand to do the Kata and Forms, but if taught a traditional martial art without these out-dated traditions, I would do.

To me, traditions are the chains that keep a society from evolving.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

tradition - thats what karate's all about 4 me - I mean if it wasnt for the way they trained then, the chances are we wouldnt have such a fab martial arts system 2day - if u get that lol. :smile:

Empty your mind : be formless, shapeless like water. Now you can put water inot a cup and it becomes that cup. Now water can flow and it can crash. Be water.

• 1 year later...
i prefer ecletic , but i consider some traditional martial arts to be that , like kajukenbo is made up of 5 different ma's ,(ka) karate, (ju) judo ( ken) kenpo (bo) chinese boxing. its made up of traditional ma's but acts like an eclectic martial art, check it out

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"