• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The best way to teach little kids?

First of all let me say that I HATE teaching little kids! :kaioken: Teens and adults are easier because while they may get bored doing the basics, they know the value of repetition and practice. Kids (5-12) get bored, start getting sloppy and if you spent too much time try to correct or refine one then the others get worse, or start playing. My instructor thinks it is very important to teach every day leading up to my 2nd dan test, but now I'm starting to hate going to class. Is there any strategies you all can suggest to keep them interested? Keep me interested?

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I teach 15 – 20 Little Dragons ( 4 to 7 y/o) at any one time and know how you feel, I learnt if you cant beat them join them. First thing to remember is to make things fun, turn the boring and mundane into a game.

Make a strategy / lesson plan. I use what if scenarios to teach kids self defence/ life skills. i.e. what would you do if you got lost in a shopping mall? What would you do if a stranger grabbed you by the hand? What would you do if your house caught on fire? What would you do if a bully was picking on you at school? What would you do if a dog was about to attack you? Etc. Roll playing is a lot of fun although, crawling on all fours and barking at the kids feels a bit strange at first.

Telling young ones to punch on a sitting stance / horse stance for any length of time is near impossible, tell that we’re going for a horse/pony ride turning the horses head form left to right usually keeps them occupied for 5 – 10 minutes. Play aeroplanes, where they have to keep their arms horizontal above their shoulders palms down following the leader strengthens their upper bodies. Jack in the box, where the kids crouch down and jump up as high as they can on command helps develop leg strength. Something akin to the hoaky poky (sp?) helps develop balance.

Skipping rope games promotes stamina and co-ordination, balloon mid air kicking and punching games helps hand/foot/eye co-ordination and timing.

Noise, kids love to make noise. Those who don’t are generally shy or reserved, let them find their voice, build up a bit of self confidence. This of course is only on your command for the rest of the time, tell them they have to be quiet as mouses and go moo.

Allow for several options at once (skipping, jumping, kicking, punching), and let the kids at first gravitate to activities they feel comfortable with before rotating them. Have parents/seniors hold air shields, ropes etc so you can show proper technique to the kids.

“Simon says” games helps them to remember rudimentary techniques and promotes discipline.

Having fit, self-confident, well co-ordinated, disciplined little dragons helps the transition to juniors (7 to 14 y/o) where more formalised martial arts training takes place.

Some of the juniors like to join in with the little dragons to have a bit of fun, I don’t mind this as long as they don’t get to cheeky and are willing to help the little ones with technique or confidence building.

Anyways I have bent your ear enough; hopefully I have helped in some way.

The main thing is to enjoy teaching, that way they will enjoy learning from you. They smell the fear so don’t pretend to be someone your not.

Helping someone to grow, to achieve, to be the best they can through your teaching is the way to an eternal life. Most of all have fun and enjoy.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

definately. you have you to yourself in their shoes. act like you are them. don't concentrate on making them perfect because they have very small attention spans. and as far as hating to help them, you need to get over it. they need someone to teach them too. be the cool instructor that they look up to and want to learn from.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

short classes say 30mins and stick to motor skill movements.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

With enthusiasm and flexibility!!! :D

Remember, you can make or break a future martial artist very quickly...and kids are hard to fool. If you aren't sincere and genuine about teaching them they WILL know!!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Two Word:

Coat Hooks

Put coat hooks on the wall around the school. At the beginning of class hang all the children on a hook by their belt. Take them down one at a time and work with them, then put them back up there and take another one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I also struggle with this.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

First of all let me say that I HATE teaching little kids! :kaioken:

First step: Get over that. If you hate teaching kids you will continue to do poor at it.

Relax, have fun, develop skills through gameplay.

Don't try to teach a group of kids like a group of adults.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!