• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Skillz

Rising Soldier

i always do the same trick twice....

it's the finish that is always different!

sorry, i DO get what you are saying...

Yo!

Shotchem is correct.

I had the same trbl and started to develope my defense and realized that this allowed me to become confident in the ring and thus I began to score/deliver my on punches.....

Holla

The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle. - Motto of Navy Seals

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very your techneques, if they start to learn a certin trick change your stratagy, wether you win or not depends on wether or not you can keep him wondering what your going to do next. Timing is a key as well.

Sparring - loved by many perfected by few

I have a question about sparring... I get extreamly agravated when my freind who's a yellow belt like me get's his hits off pretty well.... No he's not big or even flexible for that matter.. it just felt like he was getting in more than i was.. Im not a sore loser... I gave him the props.... Yet i got mad at myself for not beign able to do what i was supposed to.. i felt like i was nailed to the floor and couldn't get anything in... i sparred hm like 3 times and it was the same all the way.. i kept saying to myself.. "This time im gonna do it" it didn't work.... he is much older than me.. so I guess he got more fighting expreience.. yet the final time up I did a spinning hook kick which was nicely set but by mistake striked his jaw.... Sensei thought it was a nice move and awarded me w/ the point, ( even though it was only to the body that we were going for) yet i knew if I wouldve passed my target.. i couldve knocked him out, which wasnt my intention.. yet after the fight he was like oh i don't feel that kick to the jaw... while rubbing his jaw.. it's nothing :lol:

I hate the fact that Ive been there longer than him..... and am more experienced but for some reason... when it comes to sparring... he got a little edge on me...i just don't get it.. what am i doing wrong? :evil: This gets me very mad.... I got a tournament coming up... and I just want to get my sparring straight.. although i wont be fighting people his age.. maybe better than him.. Please give me some tips on how to come in strong :kaioken: That is all I think lol :karate:

Gee, um, hmm, maybe he's just better than you.

I have a theory about sparring. Sparring is playing and through playing we learn how to move. For example, animals like cats pounce on eachother when they play. This is actually teaching them hunting skills which can be translated to killing skills. Sparring is very similar to this type of behavior. What do you think?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

What do you did I used to? Hehehe. No I never liked the stuff.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I thought it was kind of interesting. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I have a theory about sparring. Sparring is playing and through playing we learn how to move. For example, animals like cats pounce on eachother when they play. This is actually teaching them hunting skills which can be translated to killing skills. Sparring is very similar to this type of behavior. What do you think?

That is a very good observation and a very valid point. I think I would have to agree with you that as people first begin to spar that is how it is.

Rising Soldier,

there is one very important step to defeating your friend that, unfortunately, no one has mentioned yet. After each time you spar with him you should go home and get out a pen and piece of paper. Write down everything your opponent did that worked against you, all of your opponent's favourite moves, all of their strengths and weaknesses. As well, write down everything you did that worked against your opponent, everything that didn't work, and your favourite moves.

The next step is to look at all of your opponent's favourite moves and fugure out a simple counter or at least defense for all of them. Go through your counters in your head time and time again until you have mentally countered all of your opponent's favourite moves dozens of times. Do this also for everything that they used that worked on you (hese will not necessarily be their favourite moves, but you can be positive they will use them all at least twice against you). Now take all of their strengths and weaknesses that you wrote down and figure out how to take away their strengths and exploit their weaknesses.

Next is you. Look at everything you did that worked and don't stop thinking until you find out why each of those things worked. Once you know why, you can deduce what other moves have the same principles and characteristics that caused the first one to work. Figure out how to land these new moves, and do this for every single move that worked for you. You should really have a lot of information by now... Next, look at everything you did that didn't work and figure out why. This will teach you strengths your opponent has that you may not have realized (or weaknesses you have). These principles and characteristics of the things that did not work are things you should always avoid next time. Finally, figure out why your favourite moves didn't work, and how to make them work.

(I know that we shouldn't have favourite moves, but everyone has specific habbits in their fighting, and those habbits are your 'favourite moves' in this case)

Do this after every time you spar with your opponent, and review your notes before each time you spar with them. It all adds up to a lot of information but the end result is there is no way you should spar against an opponent 3 times and still lose by the 3rd match. You should at least draw with your opponent.

Don't knock this strategy until you've tried it, I have notes on every fighter who has ever given me the slightest trouble (this does not mean that they can defeat me and I need to know how to defeat them, in many cases it is that I can defeat them but wish to defeat them more easily - one wrong move can lose you a fight on the street). There is a dojo in my town for which I have notes on all 7 instructors. I guarantee anyone out there that this practice will make you a better fighter at a much faster rate than you would otherwise progress. It teaches you how to strategize and the more you practice it, the better you get at it. More importantly, the better you get at strayegizing quickly in the ring - where it is needed most.

Strategy is like any other skill in martial art, you don't get good at punching without throwing thousands of punches, and you won't get good at strategizing without practising just as much.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

• 2 weeks later...