• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Skillz

Rising Soldier

I have a question about sparring... I get extreamly agravated when my freind who's a yellow belt like me get's his hits off pretty well.... No he's not big or even flexible for that matter.. it just felt like he was getting in more than i was.. Im not a sore loser... I gave him the props.... Yet i got mad at myself for not beign able to do what i was supposed to.. i felt like i was nailed to the floor and couldn't get anything in... i sparred hm like 3 times and it was the same all the way.. i kept saying to myself.. "This time im gonna do it" it didn't work.... he is much older than me.. so I guess he got more fighting expreience.. yet the final time up I did a spinning hook kick which was nicely set but by mistake striked his jaw.... Sensei thought it was a nice move and awarded me w/ the point, ( even though it was only to the body that we were going for) yet i knew if I wouldve passed my target.. i couldve knocked him out, which wasnt my intention.. yet after the fight he was like oh i don't feel that kick to the jaw... while rubbing his jaw.. it's nothing :lol:

I hate the fact that Ive been there longer than him..... and am more experienced but for some reason... when it comes to sparring... he got a little edge on me...i just don't get it.. what am i doing wrong? :evil: This gets me very mad.... I got a tournament coming up... and I just want to get my sparring straight.. although i wont be fighting people his age.. maybe better than him.. Please give me some tips on how to come in strong :kaioken: That is all I think lol :karate:

A yellow belt who's words never hurt, yet skills send chills throughout the body.

Shotokan Student - 11 months training

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, not everybody can be the best right from the get go, though i know thats not much consolation. back when i started sparring i hated that i could never do anything... its like the worst feeling ever. anyways, some people just have a natural ability, so your partner may have that edge for now. but one thing is for sure, every time you spar you get a little bit better. so you will get better.

Ok so enough with the motivation on with ways to improve faster.

Practice practice practice, thats key... and spar spar spar! shadowbox, bag work, form work. if you want to be strong, work for it. go for it all the way!!!

ok now to win your match. everytime i spar, its not just a game to me, you must put your heart into it. i know it sounds corney and all but it really works. if you fight with your heart, you will do so much better i promise. fight like you mean it, fight better then you know you can! thats all i can say.

Cry in the Dojo, Laugh on the Battlefield.

I usually like to land all my shots first. So for starters you might want to counter strike everything he or she might throw at you. Then further into the sparring you can try getting off your shots before he recovers from his attack. Try to stay light on your feet and concentrate on speed and accuracy and everything should come natural.

https://www.kimsookarate.com

Krav-Maga, Tai Chi Chu an, Karate, Aikido, Hapkido, Taekwon Do, Judo

I usually like to land all my shots first. So for starters you might want to counter strike everything he or she might throw at you. Then further into the sparring you can try getting off your shots before he recovers from his attack. Try to stay light on your feet and concentrate on speed and accuracy and everything should come natural.

https://www.kimsookarate.com

Krav-Maga, Tai Chi Chu an, Karate, Aikido, Hapkido, Taekwon Do, Judo

hey, not everybody can be the best right from the get go, though i know thats not much consolation. back when i started sparring i hated that i could never do anything... its like the worst feeling ever. anyways, some people just have a natural ability, so your partner may have that edge for now. but one thing is for sure, every time you spar you get a little bit better. so you will get better.

Ok so enough with the motivation on with ways to improve faster.

Practice practice practice, thats key... and spar spar spar! shadowbox, bag work, form work. if you want to be strong, work for it. go for it all the way!!!

ok now to win your match. everytime i spar, its not just a game to me, you must put your heart into it. i know it sounds corney and all but it really works. if you fight with your heart, you will do so much better i promise. fight like you mean it, fight better then you know you can! thats all i can say.

Practice is the key

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

Work on your blocking, it is the most important. Protect yourself first then counter. All attack and no defense is not good. When you feel comfortable with and trust your blocking abilty, everything starts to become easier. :)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

All attack and no defense is not good.

I think Butterbean and Tank Abbot would disagree with you.

Having said that, natural ability plays a role, so although you have been training longer, it's possible that he's just faster/stronger/whatever. I'd try sparring with other people to see if he's just exceptionally good or if there's something else.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm sure Tank Abbot and "Butterbean" would.

However, it isn't everyday that you have to face a 300-400 lbs. wrestler on steroids, so I think that blocking has it's place in the parrying aspect of self-defense or sport-sparring.

I tend to agree with shotochem, although the ability to be all-out-aggressive is useful, I personally have had successes in sparring with a defensive mindset comming into play here and there.

I have lost count on how many mid-section kicks I've successfully blocked with my shins and countered.

Natural Ability is also important, but only as important to the degree that it is being nurtured to face the people who have truely been training for a long time.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 3 weeks later...

i always do the same trick twice....

it's the finish that is always different!

sorry, i DO get what you are saying...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."