• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you kick with your front leg?

Goju1

Just wondering if many use their leading leg for attacks? I find it pretty effective, especially to inner thigh/groin, but most people I know don't seem to use these much. Since my higher kicks are limited, I've had to find alternatives and these work well, esp. after a hand feint. Any comments appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeap I use my front snap, low roundhouse and side snap a lot.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

My brother is wicked with his front leg and so I've been using it for about 5 years now and love it. I'm able to kick to the head with it and not move. We hit kicking pads to help build power....Osu!

I had some trouble with front leg kicks at first, so I worked hard at improving them only. No special reason other than, "why leave something at a lower standard?" Now I find them to be very effective because there is less telegraphing, and are faster.

Front kicks and side snap kicks about belt high are one of the most effective ways of stopping an attack. Very effective, especially if follwed by a punch or other technique.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

Mae geri? Stand in yoi, ready stance, step out with your right leg and make downward block, Gedan bari with your left arm. Shout "Mae Geri" delivera front snap kick: etc heeheh

My main weapon is Spear hand to the solar plexus or throat try it and see....

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

I use my front leg extensively. It's easier to snap a fast kick to their lead leg thigh, knee or calf. I also use it for inside sweeps quite a bit. Also like to use it to attack incoming low kicks with a knee. Front leg kicks don't telegraph nearly as much as rear leg kicks do. I've found that by careful practice in front of a mirror you virtually eliminate any advanced movement from a front leg kick. I believe the Chinese call this the shadowless kick.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.