• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt magazine

Do you subscribe to Black Belt Mag?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you subscribe to Black Belt Mag?

• Yes, It's my bible!
    • Yes, it's O.K.
    • Yes, I use it to line my bird cage.
    • No, never read it.
    • No, it's a rag.

Does anyone here subscribe to Black Belt Magazine? I have been a subscriber for quite some time, and I am not very happy with it. The content sucks, the articles are for the most part bogus, and even occasionally contradicts itself.

Are there any good martial arts magazines out there, preferably focusing on Okinawan and Japanese karate?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I subscribed to it for a while. The articles started turning more towards the latest martial arts movies or the flavor of the moment in new instant martial arts. I didn't renew my subscription. Now, I read through it and buy it if there's anything worth reading further. I've seen a few aikido magazines that were good if you like Aikido. However I haven't seen any Karate magazines that are that much different from Black Belt.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I did subscribe to BB magazine. At least I let it run out, but they still send me a copy. In fact the latest cover is with Diane Insanto. Just like you all, I think the content sucks. There use to be an English magazine called Fighting Arts International, the editor/publisher was a big Shotokan guy. The magazine had in my opinion very good articles stemming from around the world. But unfortunately he stop making the magazine.

The only ones I get now are Inside Kung-fu, and the other was called Martial Art(former MA Combat & Sport), but I just received notification that the magazine will no longer be published. It was the one magazine that was to focus on more "traditional" arts, but obviously it wasn't good enough to stay in publication.

There is a magazine called Budo International. European based, but they have them in limited places here in the US, so I'm told. Hard to say how good it actually is since I've only seen one issue.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

fact the latest cover is with Diane Insanto

Actually, that one might be worth looking at ... at least the cover ... :D

There use to be an English magazine called Fighting Arts International, the editor/publisher was a big Shotokan guy. The magazine had in my opinion very good articles stemming from around the world. But unfortunately he stop making the magazine.
I just received notification that the magazine will no longer be published.

I think the problem with MA magazines is that it is very difficult to fill an entire magazine with original content each month. Eventually, they are forced to publish less-than-quality content because they can't be selective and still manage to fill the publication. Those that refuse to publish crap have to close shop just because they run out of unique things to print.

i saw an issue of martial art magazine once, i bought it and regretted it. i really didn't care for it. that same day i found another martial arts magazine called kung fu qigong magazine, that one i liked quite a bit and got a subscription to. never picked up black belt magazine, but it's the only one i ever see around.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I dont know if it is published in the US, but I read (and have done for about 6 years) Traditional Karate Magazine - this treats all traditional styles as equals and covers the usual stuff: advancing your techniques, kata (including pull out run-throughs), bunkai/oyo, kumite tips and tricks, interviews, event reviews and thought provoking stuff :) If you can find a copy - try it - worth a read.

But, the best Shotokan karate mag has to be SKM (Shotokan Karate Magazine) just for the sheer depth of information - although this sometimes requires reading about 8 times to take in (very very technical articles some written in full medical terms)!

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

Black belt Mag is 25% advertisements for the latest videos. Every now and again they will have a decent article or two to read. I think those type of companies should do more to get MA further into mainstream culture.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.