• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unconventional breaks

going fo' 2nd dan

BD,

Go out and research some OLD SCHOOL breaks, and you'll see that the old timers did some really crazy-assed power breaks. Tak Kubota is the king on insane breaks, I think :)

Hwang Kee's "Soo Bahk Do: Volume 1" has some good pictures of older Korean masters doing ridge hand breaks on chimney bricks, roof tiles, etc.

"Tamashiwara: The Art of Breaking Bricks and Boards With Your Hands and Feet" by Renardo Barden isn't a great book, but it shows some funky breaks that people did in the 70s and 60s.

"Karate Breaking Techniques: With Practical Applications to Self-Defense" by Jack Hibbard shows a ton of different breaks, including some that I would never try, such as the thumb break.

The discovery channel had an Okinawan fellow (probably at least in his 60's) do a three board break with the "grasp sparrow's tail" hand. it just shot out like a whip and shattered the boards. Not for the faint of heart.

Bust one of those out, and I'll bet your GM sits up and takes notice :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Dragon,

How about a jump split kick (one board each leg) while punching 2 boards at the same time. I've done this in practice & plan to do it at an upcoming tournament. This could be done as a final break after doing some more "traditional" breaks (i.e. elbow break, palm strike).

• 5 weeks later...
Well as I have posted elsewhere all we usually do is a step cross side kick for advanced belts. However, one category of breaks I haven't seen anyone yet mention is a spead break. These are usually done by throwing a board and then kicking or punching it as it falls. One other example that I have had explained to me but never seen done or performed is to place a board on a single cinder block so that it overhangs into space by about half. You then do a chop on the half hanging in space to break the board.

Long Live the Fighters!

Try breaking 2 boards at the same time using two back fist strikes, behind you of course. Kinda like a mountian block, or holding concrete block on your abs and getting someone to hit it with a slud hammer would be cool, good luck!

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

Another way to do speed breaks is to have the board suspended in the air, holding it in place with one hand. You can also do self-held breaks in this manner.

Our instructor likes to throw out this one: place a board on a table and speed break with a roundhouse or side kick. Considerably harder than it looks :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I'd say a flying kick of some kind is merited at your rank, a jump spinning 360 degree back kick is always nice, but if you're not a jumper, there are a number of other things you can try...

place a board on the ground on end and speed break with a spinning sweep.

side kick breakinga board only supported by someone holding it with their thumb and forefinger.

3-4 board ridge hand is good for power - probably you'll get some swelling in your hand though.

if you are a jumper, try something especially high:

http://www.homestead.com/nebucron2/files/flyingside.jpg

or try breaking with multiple kicks before landing.

if you're feeling especially nuts, try spear hand...not as hard as it seems actually, but you have to convince yourself you can do it, first, or you'll never hit the board fast enough, or penetrate far enough.

A break with the tip of the fingers I would consider very risky unless you have done things to toughen them up. Also I have seen guys break boards with a spear hand and it is a little different than what i bet most people learn. The middle finger is bent considerably so that the first three fingers make a continuous line, they then have a very good means of support in the bent middle finger.

Long Live the Fighters!

I'm not a big advocate of breaking boards anymore, but I did go through a phase where I was. By far the coolest break I ever did was a stack of 7 boards with my head (got it on tape too)! Make sure to put something on the top board like a small hand towel folded over once or else you may hurt your head pretty bad. Make sure to tuck your chin and keep your neck muscles very tight.

If I were to do a break today though, I beleieve the most impressive break would be, by far, to break through 3 boards with a jab. Sounds really difficult, I know. But if it isn't difficult to break, all the jumping, spinning, and rolling in the world will just make me yawn and pick up a book while you break.

Once your abilities really get up there, it is what you can accomplish with the simplest of attacks that is impressive.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

• 3 months later...
When I tested for 4th Dan years ago, I did a scissors kick/roundhouse combination-3 aerial kicks. To my knowledge, only one other person in the Organization has been able to replicate it. I'm quite proud of that by the way.

My opinion-Welcome to it.