• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unconventional breaks

It was kind of hard for my second degree test because I was ona dmeonstration team and we have already done so many combinations that I couldnt think of any but I will try to give you some ideas. For my second degree test I did three different types of breaks:

1: Scissor kick at head level

2. I ran and jumped right leg fromt kick, left leg font kick, right leg round house, nad then follllowed with right hook kick in one jump. (four board multiple break)

3. Dive roll over my friend who was standing straight up and broke a board with a punch in mid air.

that was all I did for my 2nd degree. Hope those ideas helped.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Ji do Kwan Man, that's what I like to see. That multiple breaks sounds killer, I dont think I can do it though, I'm not sure I know what you mean by "Scissor Kick"?

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

"that was all I did for my 2nd degree. Hope those ideas helped."

"oh yeah, you know, that's all i did. nothin major or special, i was a little tired that day" :-? :dodgy: :lol:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Some things I have done, or my students have done over the years.

Toss a board into the air in front of you with a well controlled spin. Then just as it reaches shoulder level, blast right through it with a super-fast rideghand strike, the pieces splinter into the air.

Flying spinside kicks over a few students is flashy and not really so hard to accomplish if you have that level of ability. Simply start off by practicing on the bag while a couple of students hold their belts at whatever height and distance applicable.

Punch through conrete blocks as opposed to a hammer fist, knifehand or palm strike. This always impresses even seasoned martial artists. Of course this requires much hand conditioning as well as a high level of focus. ONLY for those who condition for it.

Doing double breaks can be fun to watch. Try punching through boards with both hands at once. Have the set up so the board holders can hold the boards perpendicular to the shoulders so you can punch straight out and hit both setups squarely. I suggest fewer boards with this though, since it is not possible to add the hip swiveling advantage because of punching with both fists at once.

I used to run off a wall and turn 180 degrees and break high in the air with a roundhouse kick. Though I will say that I see that one often at tournaments.

Grandmaster Rhee used to balance himself on a basketball and break a board with a sidekick. These days (he's in his 70's now) I beleive he still will balance on a basketball and slowly rise a sidekick above his head.

I've seen students run through a braced 2 by 4. Big guy but a smaller person could do it if he was quick and well-developed.

Place a raw egg in your hand and turn it upside down on the floor. Place one or two cocrete blocks on the topside of the hand. Have someone break the blocks with a sledge hammer (they do not have to strike hard to break the blocks), and then show that the egg is stillk unbroken. (if it is broke prepared to embarrassingly clean up a mess)

Flying side kicks don't impress me unless they are at least performed at head level.

You did not include other materials, but ice and (KNOW you can do it though) glass are always eye-catching breaks. Extra precautions are of course required.

"We are all more alike than we are different."

4th dan, WTF Kukkiwon certified

AAU Coach/Referee (oops, not National though!)

USTU Regional Referee (but I have stopped chasing the USTU around for a while)

"One of a kind" instructor...*g*

i saw in an mpeg someone breaking a board with a palm strike from just inches away. it looked *awesome*. very controlled and focused. i found it more impressive than the various other high octane kicks people were doing. :roll:

A scissor kick is basically a side kick with one leg and and angle outwards front kick with the other simotaneaously in the air with both targets at equal height.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

theres a kind of break we used to do in kenpo where a person held a board with two fingers very loosley and you kick to break it. the dificult part is getting the right snap because it has no real support behind the board.

so if you do a big kick with lots of momentum but no snap motion the board ould just fall out of their hands.

maybe you know what im talking about, maybe this is really common in your art. maybe not, personally i think they show great skill and are pretty unique.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

If you ever watch the creative breaking championship iw will give you some idesas.

A Cocunut

Baseball bat(with shins looks really cool)

2x2 pieces of wood

you could recreate the scenes from karate kid 2 with the ice blocks :)

Do some speed breaks they're impressive.

I always think anything on fire looks cool

:kaioken:

The guy who won the creative breaking when i watched it did a really cool break, he broke an arrow that was fired at him.

I saw one guy do a front roll into a axe kick brick break. Pretty cool stuff... I thought anyway. Then again, I'm no where near your level. I'm just a 4th gup. I also saw the ridge hand brick break. That was pretty awsome, too. But then again, the guy I saw was a 4th dan. He did all kinds of cool stuff that would take all day to name.

Laurie F