• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bruce Lee and his famous 300lb bag

i never saw him in a "real fight"... i think almost no one has. A) most people wouldnt of had the guts to do it and B) he'd probably run off or get out of it somehow because he was a good MAist, not just a good fighter.

as for the 300lb to cieling... it wouldnt suprise me. i saw a bio where he kicked a 200lb bag to the cieling with aparent ease. so hey... he could probably do it :)

well, i think i should say "probably have done it"... if he could do it now, that would add a whole new meaning to "turning in his(her) grave" :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I don't know the bag weights, but I've heard of plenty of Korean masters who could do that (Korean arts tending to put that extra focus on powerful kicks). Scary. Hope I learn half that much about generating power in the future.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

G95champ wrote:

I train with a 100lb bag and put it to the celling a lot.

Wish I could do that!

How long did it take you to get to that level? What kick(s) do you use when

you do that? Hope you don't mind me asking you questions--I'm just

interested.

Any hints will be gratefully recieved!

Regards,

Bart the Lover

My step behind side thrust and my spinning back kick both.

First of all I have big legs and hips. I lifted weights all in HS and college along with playing football and trainging in karate. I did lots of squats and leg presses not to metniton the low stance shotokan makes you do so my power is 2 fold i guess.

There is a differance in making the big swing and lifting it. Almost anyone can kick a bag and push it to the celling with muscle but Im refering to making contact and the bag lifts. I have broke several ball and chains from my celling because the chain dropped and popped out.

100lbs bag is not that big of a deal. Lots of guys in our dojo have done it I guess Shotokan focus on power has a lot to do with it.

But as far as how to build that power it comes from weight training, low stances, and developing speed. Because speed is power. The faster you are the more power you have and if you hae any muscle to go with that speed you can generate a lot of FORCE.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

according to the theory of side kicks potentially being X10 of your bodyweight would mean bruce lee could generate over 1200lb of force. easy enough to get that bag to the ceiling.

as for getting that kind power - be really flexable first and cut. then build on that. although G95Champ probably has huge legs, there are many who have just developed purely what they need to kick and punch, and are just as good as any other person if not better.

it all comes down to personal development :)

Amen to that Ben. Speed plus techinque will give you power.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In my opinion bruce lee was very strong but sortof fake i mean we aghvent seen im i na real fight i mean he could do fast techiniqes in his fiolms but diddnt have to worry about beign hurt himself cos it was acted (sorry just what me thinks ) :karate:

Think again. I've heard first hand accounts from highly respected martial artists that trained with him. He wasn't invincable, but he was good- one of the best. Let the guy rest in peace.

Freedom isn't free!

Metsubushi, not really having a go at you. But this topic comes up from time to time, and from everything I've heard from credible sources the man was better than his movies. It is easy to see why people question actors these days. Most of the current crop are shallow, simpering idiots. But it wasn't allways that way. Sorry if I came off a little brusque.

Freedom isn't free!

I believe the man is as good as his films. he did a lot of re-takes of certain scenes where he seems to be "showing off" certain skills of his - especially a scene in the film (gah! forgot the name! lost pagoda? something like that). where he is flailing some 'chucks at a stupidly fast rate with lots of flashyness... everything has to be perfect.

Although that said - of course there were certain things he couldnt show in a film.

Top Bloke imo :up: