• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever had to use your MA in a real sreet fight

Has anyone here ever had to use their martial arts skills in an actual street fight? If so, what happened and how did the fight turn out? Oh, and what style of martial arts do you study?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was 19, I had a girlfriend of 6 years. She started hanging out at this radio station with this pro-wrestler guy named Rick Rocker (stage-name). He was broadcasting a show called "Who's Slamming Who." Well, I found out that they were more than just friends (if you know what I mean), and I went to the station to meet him after the show. I know Karate is for defense only, and I was only 19 then (34 now); so please don't flame me. I waited outside by his car for him to come out. I had just left the dojo, and still had my gi pants on. He was way bigger than me. He saw me, and instantly knew why I was there. He stepped back into his fighting stance, and said come-on! I lunged at his face with a straight forward punch (right hand) using everything I had with a loud "HIIIYA!" With that, his hands went right up to his face; and I saw the blood seeping through his fingers. He started to scream, and bent over at the waist sideways to me making his body into an "L" shape. My rage was fuming, and a straight forward kick to his ribs sent him flying up into the air to land him on his back. He rolled over and screamed louder. I was so infuriated that that's all I was going to get to do to him, that I started kicking him on the ground. In the distance, I heard someone yelling; so I stopped and ran away.

My GF lived about 30 minutes from there, and by the time I got there; the news had already hit. I'll never forget her mother telling me how much trouble I was in, and she was right. I hid from the cops for 3 days in my buddy's basement before I ended up turning myself in. They released me into my parents custody, and I was sunk.

We got a lawyer, and he said maybe I should offer him money to drop everything; because without him, the state had no case. $3000.00 cash plus all of his doctor bills (broken nose and ribs) would be his deal.

We still had to go to court though, and he told the judge he was dropping the charges. The judge looked at me and said, "Kicked him while he was down?!!!! Anyone kicking someone while they're down in MY town goes to JAIL!!!! (and then to him---)Are you sure you want to drop this?" He did, and the judge just shook his head. I walked out free, but poor.

The worst part is I forgave her, and she did it again with this other guy. I learned my lesson the first time about violence, and never spoke to her again. I still dream about her, though. At least once a month, but usually more. AAAHHH the power of your first love...............

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

dont be worried about people flaming you - its your past and you payed your price and learnt your lesson. lifes all a learning experiance and you learnt a lot there by the sounds of it.

takes quite a big man to admit to that kind of thing :)

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with using martial arts for offense. However, I would recommend against using it in rage. If that happens again, count to ten, then plant a carbomb.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

You beat a pro wrestler, COOL! Someone messing with your girl always seems to give people that superhuman strength. I think it's cool you got to use it. I held back when it happened to me a darn near went insane, literally.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

...i can't believe what you guys are saying... "oh my god, you broke his nose, that's awsome!"... :-? i'm with ben on this one. way to learn from your experiences :) i have a few times, but no real story to them. there was a guy who was hiding out in the basement of where i work who was gonna rob the place and attacked me, and there was a time when i was running through the forest (i was training for a cross country race) and saw some guys in a drug deal, and they saw me and got nervous and attacked me... i don't really remember what all happened, but i think the library one is in greater detail somewhere else in the forum. feh, whatever.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

There was one other time in High School. I was a freshman, and this big fat guy kept on picking on me. We were in the same homeroom, so he challenged me to meet him in the bathroom at 12:00 so he could kick my *. Back then (1983), almost nobody studied MA; and I was an orange belt, but nobody knew it. I accepted his challenge, and when I got to the BR; he was there with a large crowd.

He walks up to me and says, "You start it! (pointing to his face) Go ahead, hit me!" I hauled off and slugged him HARD. A couple of kicks and it was over. He actually ran out. From that moment on, my HS nickname was "Ninja man."

I went to my next class, and the word had spread pretty quickly. My top 2 knuckles on my right hand swelled up pretty large, and my yellow shirt was splattered with his blood. The teacher sent me to the nurse for my hand, and I told her I punched a locker. When I got to the nurse, the guy was already there with ice on his face.

Neither of us would admit to fighting, and didn't get in any trouble. I didn't have another problem throughout my entire High School time.

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

It was a pretty big school, so the BR's were large. I don't know..... It was a long time ago. Maybe 20 people? There were some in the hallway, too. Oh well. Memories, memories.........