• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was taught that showing the top of the head is considered disrespectful in Korean culture which is why we look at the person we are bowing to.

If so, then we're breaking tradition. KSW is a Korean art.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you are sparring there is the challenging bow where you look your person straight in the eyes, otherwise you are not suppsed to look at the person, unless you are challenging them. a lot of people bow wrong, not from my school, but people at tournaments.

You can only say they're bowing poorly if they're from your same art. Different arts have different ideas of what is proper.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Well, I don't know how appropos this is to this particular discussion but I will say it anyway. In Japanese custom at least, and this may or may not be true for Korean customs, a bow of respect is always given with your eyes averted and your head down. However, when preparing to fight the bow is altered to be able to watch your opponent. Looking at a person while bowing in polite company would be an insult and possibly a threat. As to being able to see their feet move, kicking you in the head while bent over doesn't require you to move your feet simply to kick quickly.

Long Live the Fighters!

I was taught that showing the top of the head is considered disrespectful in Korean culture which is why we look at the person we are bowing to.

It is considered disrespectful in Korea to look someone in the eye as it implies distrust. Therefore when showing respect in the dojang one should bow with eyes averted. Likewise, one should bow with respect at a tournament. Most korean style dojangs in the US adhere to this however some have adopted other philosophies. Our schools sends students to Korea frequently to train and ettiquette is strongly emphasized.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

in Kuk Sool we are taught to not look at the person you are training with as a sign of respect. I think at the tournaments(which I havent participated in yet) you should look at your opponent. I'll let ya'll know in October when the tournament gets here.[/img]

$.02 from a rank amateur. As instructed by my Kwahn Jahm Nim. Look at an opponent from another school, at the floor when bowing to anyone from the same school. That's IIRC.

“Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.”

-- 1 Corinthians 16:13

ive been taught simply to never take your eyes off your opponent when you bow. i can see why practically, as its best to see what their doing.

Shotokan Karate - brown belt 2nd kyu

Judo - Yellow belt

Jujustu - recently started, white belt

I have notice a trend of people not looking at there oponent when bowing. Bowing is a form of respect for your opponent, but should also be done with caution. Has anyone else noticed this?

I was actually told by my instructor that it was rather disrespectful to look at your opponent (in the dojo) while bowing. He said it showed that you didn't trust them.