• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have notice a trend of people not looking at there oponent when bowing. Bowing is a form of respect for your opponent, but should also be done with caution. Has anyone else noticed this?

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the dojang, if anyone struck me while i was bowing, i'm sure they would at least be warned, if not thrown out of class. i don't think i've ever seen anyone bow outside of the dojang.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

in the dojang, if anyone struck me while i was bowing, i'm sure they would at least be warned, if not thrown out of class. i don't think i've ever seen anyone bow outside of the dojang.

i would definatly agree there, but i think i understand what he's trying to say. that if it was a real situation, and for some reason the two fighters were bowing and they allowed strikes as soon as bowing takes places, you must remember that the opponant is still the opponant and so you should be cautious. tho also its a good habbit to get into and that the instructer can see that you are using your brains :)

That whole bowing while looking at your opponent thing came from karate kid.

You look down as a sign of respect toward your opponent...not stare at him with distrust!

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

I definatly remember Bruce Lee looking at an unfamiliar opponant while bowing... although for some reason i'm now thinking about that scene in "Enter The Dragon" where he slaps the student around the head for not looking at him :brow:

This varries from art to art. KSW does not want you to look up. As said previously, our philosophy is "If you can't trust them, then don't bow to them".

However, we also say that you can easily see the feet move toward you, if an attack is coming.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

We were instructed that the only time you bow without looking is at a master as a sign of respect to him for teaching you. But when bowing to an opponet (even a partner in class) to bow looking at them. The bow is to thank them for training with you, but they ARE still an opponent.

when you are sparring there is the challenging bow where you look your person straight in the eyes, otherwise you are not suppsed to look at the person, unless you are challenging them. a lot of people bow wrong, not from my school, but people at tournaments.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt