• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicks in a self-defense situation.

Kicking does take a longer amount of time to develop proficiency in. I'll bet that there are quite a few South Korean practitioners that are skilled enough, and quick enough, to kick to the head on a regular basis. However, some of them have been spending most of their lives kicking.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although i do know how to execute a good number of effective kicks i find that in a REAL fight i scrap a lot and use my hands and grappling a lot more than my kicks... I have used the Muay Thai roundhouse kick a lot as well, but only because it is quick and effective...

I think i would only use big technical kicks if i were to come across another VERY experienced martial artist, because i would then have to use everything in my arsenal...

Mastering the basics is fine but if someone has mastered the defense against the basics then u r in trouble...

What are your thoughts??

Angus.

i think that you should learn the more advanced moves , and teach youself to go out of your boundries , fight were you dont want to , only then will you have the advantage agiant your opponent"

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Kicking does take a longer amount of time to develop proficiency in. I'll bet that there are quite a few South Korean practitioners that are skilled enough, and quick enough, to kick to the head on a regular basis. However, some of them have been spending most of their lives kicking.

that is true , but what if the situation does not require kicking , then what?? this is were information from every source comes in handy

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

that is true , but what if the situation does not require kicking , then what?? this is were information from every source comes in handy

Honestly, there aren't many situations that "require" kicking, in my opinion. When your arms get tied up, then you may have to kick, but other than that, I wouldn't say that kicking becomes "required."

It is good to know how to fight in all ranges: kicking, punching, clinching, and grappling.

• 3 weeks later...

Every Tae Kwon Do school I have seen or attended classes in has people who learn to consistently and relentlessly kick to the head in as little as a year's time. The front kick flexibility takes three months, then you start to develop crescant kick flexibility by opening the hips for three months, and finally you develop classic side kick flexibility to kick to the head in about three months. Even in dojangs where they rush the stretching exercises and focus on developing strength to such a degree that flxibility training is slowed, people can easily reach the height of their own head in a maximum of two years. In most Tae Kwon Do curriculums, people are already starting to work on aerial kicks by the end of the second year. My impression is that the kicking expert has one or two chances to get his foot into the aggressor's face or head before the foe can charge into close range with his fists. Bill "Superfoot" Wallace used to teach kickers defensive tactics against people who rush in while the kicker still has a leg in the air. Once the gap is closed, however, it can be hard to open it again, so low kicks to the lower legs and knee to groin strikes come in handy. I think the most beautiful kicking fights are fought between two kicking experts who spin and kick against someone else who is fighting on the same terms. Sadly, opponents try not to fight on your terms, but against your weaknesses. I think ground grappling rose quickly to popularity because people were being defeated by grapplers faster than they could learn basic grappling skills themselves for defensive purposes. At the beginning of a fight, the kicker has the longer range and a very powerful weapon, and if he has surprise, the kicker can kick your head off.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

V nice post Johnlogic121.

I agree with you that watching two skilled kickers fight is beautiful to watch. I know they choreograph it but some of the fights I've seen the North Korean ITF TKD team do at demos are excellent and really nice to watch. Kicking has its place in a fight, just as other striking and grapple do, but it it takes a skilled kicker to kick and stay kicker when facing off against a decent grappler or closer range striker.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...
Every Tae Kwon Do school I have seen or attended classes in has people who learn to consistently and relentlessly kick to the head in as little as a year's time. The front kick flexibility takes three months, then you start to develop crescant kick flexibility by opening the hips for three months, and finally you develop classic side kick flexibility to kick to the head in about three months. Even in dojangs where they rush the stretching exercises and focus on developing strength to such a degree that flxibility training is slowed, people can easily reach the height of their own head in a maximum of two years. In most Tae Kwon Do curriculums, people are already starting to work on aerial kicks by the end of the second year. My impression is that the kicking expert has one or two chances to get his foot into the aggressor's face or head before the foe can charge into close range with his fists. Bill "Superfoot" Wallace used to teach kickers defensive tactics against people who rush in while the kicker still has a leg in the air. Once the gap is closed, however, it can be hard to open it again, so low kicks to the lower legs and knee to groin strikes come in handy. I think the most beautiful kicking fights are fought between two kicking experts who spin and kick against someone else who is fighting on the same terms. Sadly, opponents try not to fight on your terms, but against your weaknesses. I think ground grappling rose quickly to popularity because people were being defeated by grapplers faster than they could learn basic grappling skills themselves for defensive purposes. At the beginning of a fight, the kicker has the longer range and a very powerful weapon, and if he has surprise, the kicker can kick your head off.

For most people, kicks are not a high percentage technique.

Honestly, there aren't many situations that "require" kicking, in my opinion. When your arms get tied up, then you may have to kick, but other than that, I wouldn't say that kicking becomes "required."

It is good to know how to fight in all ranges: kicking, punching, clinching, and grappling.

Even when my arms are tied up, I'd rather knee than kick.

Yes thats true , in the given situation you should use the most effective part of your body for the job. It might be your mouth, never know.

Even when my arms are tied up, I'd rather knee than kick.

I can understand this. However, the range may have something to do with your options as well. If they are clinching you, then the knees are good. However, what if a buddy has your arms behind your back, and his friend approaches? A kick to the knee or groin might be better then. Just depends.