• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicks in a self-defense situation.

the one time i got i na fight, i first hitwith my heal in the chest of one of the chav, then i side kicked another one after doing a fancy turn, i put no power in it but it scare the chav group away.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xxducati998xx, nice bike, but cross train, it is your opinion that a side kick is better but thats all, hey we all have our own opinions but not all TKD schools teach the push kick, and I think it is a very effective kick but, your situation will dictate if a side kick is the most stratigicly sound kick in a street situation. Cross train with grapplers, Tai fighters, stick and knife guys and you will see the world is large and what seems to be the total answer now will be sometime just a one of many good ideas later, and for the TKD people out there I am not thrashing TKD but like most if not all traditional styles or systems it has its weakness's and it faults, it is just my belief to train with others is to broaden your horizens and to be better educated and informed. From a open mind and bigger book of knowelge to pull from you will find the things that fit you best and be able to help other more effectivley.

Survivor

Oh yea and just for the record I am not saying that the sidekick will not work it is just one of many things that may work, for me the side kick is not the easist thing to do when my intention is to go into a clinch or a modified straight blast. That also brings up another problem with so many who train just for the sport of kicking (point fighting) is that they are not used to driving through an attacker, to many practice their snap kicks all the time and never train to go for destructive kicks, which is fine for sport but does not transfer over very well in the street. It is my opinion that to many kick with there instep for sport but never condition their shin for the more damaging kicks that can delivered and need to be delivered in a street confrontation. Ya'll already know the foot like the hand has to many little bone to be truely safe as a full contact weapon with the exception of a few who may train just for this, I will let just about anyone attack my thighs with the instep but will not say the same about the shin, I know there are a few who could snap my leg but they are few and far between compared to the number of point fighter out there, my point is teachers and students should train there more effective weapons for the Martial end of Martial Arts and not confuse sport with reallity. MY opinion and I really believe these to be true.

Survivor

• 2 weeks later...

stick to the basics fancy kicks are risky. when i was invited by a friend to do MT the first time i sparred, the thai fighters bashed in my common peronial nerve and my leg just wouldent move any more and my fancy kicks just did not work.

Fist visible Strike invisible

• 2 years later...

Kicks can be effective. For an example: Its the fact that many bums and crackheads that could attack you in the street wont be using much of kicks simply because they dont know how to kick! So your attacker will propably only use punches and grabs. So you could easily keep him from attacking you because leg is longer than arm so kicking you opponet will prevent him from punching or grabbing you.

I posted the following with regard to kicks in another topic:

Kicks are a fairly limited tool in terms of self defence, i like to use the legs to maintain a strong base to deliver other offensive measures, occasionally throwing low line knees to either side of the thigh/groin area.

Kicking required a few things that are rarely available to you in a self defensive situation where actions and positions are based on human behaviour, not technique. You need distance, balance, grounding, etc to execute a kick effectively. If you are lucky enough to have these things for a moment in time then you must make it count.

If i had to choose a favourite kick it would be a toss up between a low front pushing kick and a low round kick. Both obviously have different uses and there is an appropriate time for each. I realise this topic is for discussion but keep in mind that to play favourites limits your ability to react with a spontaneous and correct response.

I personally wouldnt kick to the head except for a cresent kick, if you throw a few front kicks then go to cresent they will block low then get hit in the head. But most kicks would go to the knees for me. It would also depend on if the person is trained. If he is a martial artist then the my fighting style would be diff, but a simple front snap kick to the groin/balls will pretty much drop most people(assuming they are male :) ) But traing high kicks makes your low kicks more powerful so there are reasons for them.

It would also depend on if the person is trained. If he is a martial artist then the my fighting style would be diff, but a simple front snap kick to the groin/balls will pretty much drop most people(assuming they are male :) ).

The problem is, how do you know if they are trained or not? Personally, I would want to fight in such a way that is successful against either the trained or untrained.

There are certain kicks in the modern martial arts that are only meant to look good. A lot of these are high kicks to the face and spin kicks. Very rarely will a kick to the face or a spin kick work in a real combat situation. To learn more about functional kicks, study a traditional art such as aikido, ninjutsu, shotokan, etc.

"Nothing is ever truly broken, it only cannot do that which it was meant to do."

-Sensei Chris Parrill-

There are certain kicks in the modern martial arts that are only meant to look good. A lot of these are high kicks to the face and spin kicks. Very rarely will a kick to the face or a spin kick work in a real combat situation.

I completely agree.

To learn more about functional kicks, study a traditional art such as aikido, ninjutsu, shotokan, etc.

I believe your time would be much better spent elsewhere if you want to learn truly functional kicks.