• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicks in a self-defense situation.

I find that jumping front kick to the chin or a spinning back kick is probably more effective during road sparring, though I don't like to expose my backside for any length of time, so speed is paramount :wink:

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a self defense situation ...since the beginning of my training I have been told as a woman I have the advantage with lower body strength and actually the first thing in my mind that I would do is to side kick to the middle/ or knee . (I would throw in a roundhouse somewhere because that is actually my most powerful kick I would think that would then catch the attacker unaware.

if youare quick enough and get the chance, I have nevre actually done it but it may come in handy later on in life in them situations.

Roundhouse kick to the side of the knee.Go through it like a blade would through a melon.

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

I'm not sure you would be happy with the outcome. If he pivots at the wrong time, you'll end up doing more damage to your own foot.

I would think the thigh would be a better target for a round kick. (Hey Muay Thai guys, where do you usually target your round kicks? Is it the side of the calf or thigh?)

Anyway, side, stomp, or hooks would probably be safer to attack the knee with.

Opinion only, of course. :bigwink:

[ This Message was edited by: KSN Doug on 2001-11-29 11:28 ]

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Well, the thing with the roundhouse (thai style) is that we don't hit with the foot, we hit with the hard piece of shinbone above the foot - so if the kick is hard enogh you quite possibly could go thru the knee joint like a knife thru a melon, with the roundhouse. It's unlikely that you'll break it first go though, unless it's a super dooper hard kick.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 3 years later...

Kicks in fights are best "in my unhumble opinion" below the waist, hips down to the toes, and like the Tai fighters I belive more effective with a trained shin, one big bone verses lots of little bones of the foot. Taken the knee out is good but most would not be able to stand if kicked solidly in the thigh inside or out "oh the thigh". Wearing shoes helps when doing foot kicks to the legs just be careful not to miss because you will probably be in your opponents arm reach and might get clobbered. I prefer kicks from my Tai and JKD training, they are simple and effective and most people are not looking for the low shots. If you doubt the pain of good thigh kicks get some twelve year old to kick you and see how it feels when they do it much less if it was a trained Tai fighter, which you dont have to be to be able to deliver strong effective kicks. :D

Survivor

I have used a simple front kick to the stomach successfully against non martial artists. It curls them over, then the hands come into play.

Basics always seem to work best in real street fights.

What works works