• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicks in a self-defense situation.

Although i do know how to execute a good number of effective kicks i find that in a REAL fight i scrap a lot and use my hands and grappling a lot more than my kicks... I have used the Muay Thai roundhouse kick a lot as well, but only because it is quick and effective...

I think i would only use big technical kicks if i were to come across another VERY experienced martial artist, because i would then have to use everything in my arsenal...

Mastering the basics is fine but if someone has mastered the defense against the basics then u r in trouble...

What are your thoughts??

Angus.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you simply have to learn more kicks. You can't only have a simple set of kicks. You must always have new material to throw around.

Learn all of the kicks. Learn them well. Learn them fast. Be prepared to use them.

Those are my thoughts..anyone else?

-Sean Killeen

Webmaster, Web Designer/Developer, Content Engineer

InterFall Design -- http://www.InterFall.com

"Where the Internet Flows"

Well, my young opinion is that use what you are the best at, use what you've trained the most. For example, if you are studying Tae Kwon Do you do not want to try and grapple them to the ground... However, in self defence situations you do not want to start pulling off the fancy moves, since if you are out then it is probably dark making visiblity harder, or you are drunk in which well, you'll loose balance :smile:

However, one method which works incredibly well without too much risk is a move much like a standard side kick. Standing sideways to them, you merely cross one leg back behind the other and lift the kicking leg up before thrusting it at them. My instructor used this on a Green belt who weighed 18 stones, and sent him back a fair bit too :razz:

I would not bother with fancy kicks unless incredibly well trained at them, in a real life situation it is not worth the risk.

And thats my 2 cents :smile:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Yeah, thanx for the posts guys...

Back in the day (when i was fast) i once used a spinning hook kick in a fight and landed it nicely on his cheek... he went down like a sack of spuds, but i wouldn't use that now.

Angus.

You don't HAVE to learn the fancy kicks. It's just fun and keeps people in the gym training. But it's the execution of the basics that differentiate an expert from a novice. Take a lesson from the Muay Thai fighters and just go ballistic with basics.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Yeah, i agree Ken... u know i do, we've had this discussion about a gazillion times on the old board... hehe..

Angus.

Yep, but the karate kids need enlightenment.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Kicks have an amazing effect upon an opponent. It can either stop them, or DROP THEM. I have used my kick in situations just to stop the guy dead in his tracks. I say, use any technique you can. In the dojo there are rules, in a tournament there are rules; in real life, there are no rules.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)