• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is a karate "master"?

Sasori_Te

The one that gets me is the person who starts a school of a new style because he knew better than anyone who has taught him, jumps from 2nd dan to 5th dan in the process. Then the STUDENTS promote him to 9th or 10th dan of his new style.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To correct a portion of what you're saying. A 10th dan (for the styles that recognize that rank) is usually appointed by an organization after the death of the former organizational head. The process is a bit like appointing a new pope (not trying to offend any Catholics here). Basically it's a political title. I have never seen a "traditional" method for promoting anyone past 5th dan since all of the techniques from the system should have been learned by this point. I have however seen any number of different requirements for progressing in rank. However this is getting off the scope of the original topic.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Interesting topic. On the same note, what's with these 8th, 9th, and 10th Dans? please correct me if I'm wrong, but for one to be promoted to a higher rank; mustn't he be promoted BY someone of a higher rank? How can a 9thDan become a 10th Dan? By promoting himself? Master (yes, MASTER!) Advincula told me that Master (again, yes- Master) Shimabuku promoted him to 7th Dan, and he will die a 7th Dan.

I've heard that on occasion when there is no one remaining higher ranked than the 'Master' of the line, then the next most senior people can get together and vote him a higher rank. (?)

People have tried to promote him, but he will not accept.

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

"Some young enthusiasts of karate believe that it can be learned only from instructors in a dojo, but such men are mere technicians, not true karateka. There is a Buddhist saying that "anyplace can be a dojo," and that is saying that anyone who wants to follow the way of karate must never forget. Karate-do is not only the acquisition of certain defensive skills but also the mastering of the arts of being a good and honest member of society."

- Gichin Funakoshi

"My Way of Life"

"Karate-Do is a lifetime study."

- Kenwa Mabuni

"A true karateka will never master the art of Karate."

- Antonio Cayukatee Fuentes

Goju1 that is what I was referring to in my previous post. They get together and choose to award rank to another member.This usually only happens upon the death of the head of the style.

Goju1 that is what I was referring to in my previous post. They get together and choose to award rank to another member.This usually only happens upon the death of the head of the style.

right, thats what I meant, you just put it better!

The title Shihan refers to one who is a "Master Instructor". He is still sensei, but a master sensei (teacher). You don't go around calling your instructor master usually. My Sensei is a Kyoshi, but I call him "sensei/shinshii". If someone who is a Grandmaster (10th Dan) wants you to call them master, well you better. Remember there are NO non-Okinawan or Japanese GMs/Hanshi/Soke/O'Sensei. There are non-Orientel master instructors though.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

Please elaborate on "Remember there are NO non-Okinawanor Japanese GMs/Hanshi/Soke/O'Sensei.". I know Hanshi Bowles from the Shuri Ryu lineage. If you are talking about classical martial arts then you could be correct (except for Hanshi Bowles). However I know of several styles in the tradition of Okinawan martial arts that have American Sokes and Grandmasters. Also, to comment on calling a Gransmaster master, I believe that you should address them as master because you respect them enough to use the title. I don't believe that someone needs to be referred to as master at their request.

Grandmaster (10th Dan) wants you to call them master, well you better

Hell no!

Remember there are NO non-Okinawan or Japanese GMs/Hanshi/Soke/O'Sensei. There are non-Orientel master instructors though.

That isn't true. Check out https://www.bushido.org, and check the bio on Phillip Koeppel, the head of the USKK organization (My organization). He holds eigth dan (Hanshi) in his primary style Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu, awarded to him by Yuichi Kuda. Yuichi Kuda was an okinawan, and was trained by Hohan Soken himself.