• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is a karate "master"?

Sasori_Te

Ok, I feel compelled to respond. I will be civil.

it's just that somehow he is the same rank (or higher) than his seniors, and that isn't logical

Fact: Phillip Koeppel is 8th dan, promoted by Yuichi Kuda.

mentioned earlier about better karate being stateside

Please show me where I said this.

That's why he doesn't claim it anymore

Then how can you hold against him the 10th dan if he doesn't claim it?

Koeppel's "BB" was from Shuri Ryu originally. Yep

This is no suprise to me. I realize this.

Oh and the Hakutsurukan is Sensei Lindsey's dojo

I am a student of the Hakutsurukan

Ok. I misread and thought you said that you were "a student of Hakutsurukan." And also your signature "Nidan, Hakutsurukan" is misleading.

I thought you would realize that another MS guy was on here, and your senior at that

How do you know that you're my senior? You are a Nidan. That's is quite an accomplishment, and certainly you are on your way up, but that isn't very high on the dan ladder. I never mention my rank here because of people who drop rank and demand respect for it. I hold a firm belief that respect is earned, not awarded with rank. Haranguing some guy because he's been told differently than you is no way to earn respect. Perhaps if you would have been more diplomatic, you would have been taken more seriously. You came off as another one of those "we're right, everyone else is wrong" guys, and I don't take crap from them.

And by the way, I practice the style I've been taught. Apparently you don't believe me to be a "true Machimura stylist". That's fine. Show me a school that is, and would be happy to look into it. If i'm not a "True Machimura" stylist, then I might be compelled to change if the "True Machimura Way" is better than what I'm doing now.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to ask this of Hohan. You don't believe anyone except an Okinawan can be a master? Why? Do you believe that they are somehow smarter than everyone else? Are they more athletic. Or, do they just have some magic ability perhaps that makes them better at karate than everyone else? Do you somehow have more knowledge, skill and ability because you were trained in a classical style? Has your master taken you under his wing and taught you the secrets of your style? *L* What you are spouting is bigotted nonsense. You mix in facts with your opinions to try and make them sound like facts as well. I don't believe this board is here so that you can come in a try to make yourself sound superior to everyone else. It's supposed to be an exchange of ideas. You may be a nidan but you certainly don't act like it. You need to learn to respect other people besides yourself.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

BTW, it was me who said that Demura Sensei said that the best karate was being practiced stateside and elsewhere besides Okinawa and Japan.

Too bad politics has to ruin karate too. Can we stick to the original topic, I don't really care about y'alls Sensei's (who are all American anyway )

And I don't know if you realize or care, Hohan, but in all of your posts you're coming across as a guy with a major attitude problem.

If you met me in person, and could hear my intonation, inflection and points of emphasis then you would think otherwise. If you were to talk with me face-to-face you would find that all of my points are valid. I tell it like it is, but there is no malice involved. I just react to fallacies and naive attitudes with some measure of exuberance. You'd laugh at my delivery alone, and see the silliness of it all. I'm not angry, just perplexed.

You guys seem to think that I made these rules up. If you look at the JKA, SKA (which, is by the way, in the USA), K1, Dai Nippon Budokai, Kodokan, the Okinawan Karate-do Renmei Federation or whatever Japanese or Okinawan MA governing body, you won't see one American Soke/GM on their board or council. Not A ONE. Ever. So how can I be a racist (you are so far from the truth it's ridiculous) when that is the reality of the Karate world's politics? I shouldn't be able to form a professional organization, if the credentials that give me that right, are questionable. Accreditation or valid licensing is necessary for any professional, learning institution or governing entity.

Get out of your dreamworld. These other organizations are corporations. Even moreso than their Japanese counterparts. These so-called American Soke have their students promote them or they promote themselves. NO Grandmaster of any Okinawan /Japanese art, ever, EVER- passed on his menkyo kaiden or Sokeship to a westerner. Do you understand these things? Where are the checks and balances? Who is governing these too-numerous-to-count associations? At least the Japanese and Okinawan bodies have years of organizational experience and tenure behind them. An, yes, they are xenophobic to the max, just like americans.

I have a feeling I'll meet some of you cats one day. We'll get to know each other and then you'll understand things with some extra clarity. Sorry if my responses have "attitude". I guess that makes me unique. That's a good thing. I won't offer my opinions or facts anymore. You punk-beeyotches know the real anyways. Putang Ena Mo!!! Have a gravy week, and don't be too status quo. It's boring and quite gay!!!

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

These other organizations are corporations.

I'll can agree with that.

I have a feeling I'll meet some of you cats one day

That much is certain ... it could have already happened.

And if you would be so kind as to translate: "Putang Ena Mo!!!"

Quite right Goju1 let's stick to the topic at hand. angel, as you lok around at different black belts that can teach let us know if you change your mind.

These other organizations are corporations. Even moreso than their Japanese counterparts. These so-called American Soke have their students promote them or they promote themselves. NO Grandmaster of any Okinawan /Japanese art, ever, EVER- passed on his menkyo kaiden or Sokeship to a westerner. Do you understand these things? Where are the checks and balances? Who is governing these too-numerous-to-count associations? At least the Japanese and Okinawan bodies have years of organizational experience and tenure behind them. An, yes, they are xenophobic to the max, just like americans.

I think we all agree with you on this one. There needs to be some system somewhere of checks and balances, otherwise our beloved karate could go right down the political/corporate toilet! And please keep posting, at least you keep things interesting! I'd look forward to meeting all of you one day :D

My question to Hohan (I just can't seem to stop responding to this guy) would be, Where are the checks and balances in the Asian federations? The head is usually the Soke of the style and they are surrounded by their cronies. So tell me, what is the difference? Corrupt is corrupt whether it be an American or an Asian. Not all Asians are corrupt and neither are all Americans. I'll concede that there are some excellent Asian Karate organizations, but you also need to concede that there are some American and otherwise organizations that are just as good. Unfortunately politics and corruption run rampant on all sides. It's a part of martial arts that we all have to live with whether we like it or not. Can't we all just get along? *L*