• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is a karate "master"?

Sasori_Te

What is a karate master? Is it someone who puts in the time. learns the techniques and get to 4th or 5th dan or above? Is it someone like the sage little guy from "The Karate Kid"? Does a master actually master karate or does he master himself? I asked this question to my Grandmaster one day. He told me that a master can be someone that trains for 50 years or 5 minutes. It all depends on how long it takes you to understand the martial art you work at. I think I understand what he meant now, but I'm always interested in other opinions.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the title is given until you reach your 5th Dan.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

The title Master is overratted. It is usually given for political reasons within the dojo or organization. As for myself, I don't have a master. I have an instructor. Others call him master, but I don't. Once someone even tried to discipline me for not calling a "master" master. I just ignored them.

Same response as G, 5th dan. I see it more as a title and level of proficiency, not that you have mastered Karate. My sixth degree Sensei (Master)professes that he is constantly learning...from us! That is probably why he is so advanced, because he can learn at anytime from anybody. He says he has so much to learn. Of course he is light years ahead of us. Good topic.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

An old man that has trainned in karate for most of his life. :D I'm sick of seeing so called masters who have trainned for 10 or 15 years. Or someone who sparks there own style after trainning a handful of years in 3 styles. :kaioken:

In my opinion i think that its not the time, but the knowledge that makes you a master. If you understand everything about your art, then your a master, but it has to be a deep understanding, about the dynamics, and philosophy, everything...not just being able to do the forms well for the last 15 years. And yes, i think the philosophy matters, you must understand why we fight if you want to be a master warrior.

Cry in the Dojo, Laugh on the Battlefield.

An old man that has trainned in karate for most of his life. :D I'm sick of seeing so called masters who have trainned for 10 or 15 years. Or someone who sparks there own style after trainning a handful of years in 3 styles. :kaioken:

Yes, and preferably from Okinawa - 60+ years of age and one who has the 'power'. I think one must have the life experience and the karate experience, even if you can fight like Jet Li. IMHO :D

Durring one of my first classes my teacher said their is only one Master and he wears a white gi in heaven.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Very informative. Thank you for the opinions. FYI, I would never call someone master speaking to them. I might refer to them that way speaking to someone else about them. I've only trained with 3 people that I would even refer to as master when speaking of them and they are Teruo Chinen, Taika Oyata and Dave McNeill. These men all possesed the same qualities that I can only hope I have one day. A sense of humor, respect for everyone no matter age or rank and most of all a seemingly innate knowledge of what it is you really want to know when you ask a question.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Interesting topic. On the same note, what's with these 8th, 9th, and 10th Dans? please correct me if I'm wrong, but for one to be promoted to a higher rank; mustn't he be promoted BY someone of a higher rank? How can a 9thDan become a 10th Dan? By promoting himself? Master (yes, MASTER!) Advincula told me that Master (again, yes- Master) Shimabuku promoted him to 7th Dan, and he will die a 7th Dan.

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.