• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is the Balisong considered a martial art weapon?

Rick E.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

im a bit confused about the Balisong. i mean, they teach it in various filipino schools in my area, yet it's illegal to buy or sell one.

and ive also seen them in weapons shops in my area.

are they just doing something blatently illegal?

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

• 7 months later...

They are illegal in Canada too. It's a shame.

If the balisongs are really bladed, then they are illegal. I've seen people with dull aluminum practice bladed balisongs, so I imagine those are ok.

There is no "best" martial art. A good martial artist is a good martial artist. - various good martial artists

• 4 weeks later...

It's not illegal to buy a balisong, unless your local laws prehibit it, but it is illegal to carry one, even non concealed, i don't think you could even get a permit to carry one. its a stupid law though, i mean, i have both balisongs and regular folding knives and a balisong takes more time to open than a folder (yes, i have been trained as to how to use a balisong, so i'm not a beginner), and they are also primarily used as a philipino weapon.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

The balisong is definitely a filipino martial arts weapon. Here in the Philippines you can purchase them, but it is best to travel to barrio balisong in Batangas where most of them are made.

Many people are profiient with using them, but many are also only good at the showy and flashy techniques. There is a difference between balisong for demos and reality. Master Nilo Limpin is one of the best masters of the balisong teaching in the Philippines. You can visit his web site https://www.panlaban.com . There is an article in the media section from a japanese martial arts magazine and there will be more featured on there soon.

The balisong is definitely a filipino martial arts weapon. Here in the Philippines you can purchase them, but it is best to travel to barrio balisong in Batangas where most of them are made.

Many people are profiient with using them, but many are also only good at the showy and flashy techniques. There is a difference between balisong for demos and reality. Master Nilo Limpin is one of the best masters of the balisong teaching in the Philippines. You can visit his web site https://www.panlaban.com . There is an article in the media section from a japanese martial arts magazine and there will be more featured on there soon.

• 1 month later...