• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Private Training?

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Every time I travel down to the main dojo, I train privately with the Grandmaster or Senior instructors of the system, and I pay for my training just like anyone else. Why do you think it's silly :-?

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

It usally costs an arm and a leg...

In that case, if your training, I think that different. I'm writting about those who run a dojo and then charge students more for private classes. It's a money grab IMO.

I don't believe it's a money grab. Some students just don't learn the same way as other students and one on one teaching can be invaluable to their progress. I pay for private lessons with my instructors as often as I can. You have an opportunity to pick their brains to a degree that would be impossible in a regular dojo session. I say take advantage of it when you can. Although, unfortunately, I'm sure in some of the belt factories that pass for schools it is a "money grab".

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I've paid for BJJ lessons in private and I have to say IMO it was a money grab. When it comes to karate, I have never paid for a private lesson but have had many....OSU!

It's not a money grab as long as you are getting alot out of it. Some Mcdojos may use it for money but although expensive at times it can be a huge benefit.

Some McDojos could use it as a money grab, but I think it'd be excellent otherwise.

I'm a musician and my mum, sister and I all teach music. I teach guitar to kids for free, but I would like to charge, and if I was charging for lessons I'd charge extra for individual tuition than I would for group tuition, just to make it worth my while.

After all, it wouldn't be worth me coming out of my house, spending time preparing a lesson, and then teaching a lesson to one person for only a couple of pounds, but it would be fine for each pupil to pay a couple of pounds each if I was teaching a group.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I think just as in your group martial arts training, the best thing you can do is step back and evaluate what you're being taught. If you don't think it's any good or worth the money it would be better to find somewhere else to train.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.