• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So you are in Kung Fu to learn how to compete? People have different reasons for learning kung fu, some want self defense, some want to get in shape, some want to compete, and others, such as myself, really want to learn the traditional Chinese art. When we spar, the last thing we want is to have it look like boxing, it should look like kung fu. I study Ving Tsun Chinese Boxing so the fighting and boxing skills come very easy, other arts take longer to gain fighting ability so if competition is a major factor, I could see how they would give you non-Chinese techniques in order to fight with. But don't worry about what we have to say, we're not there watching what you are doing.

---Aaron

Ving Tsun is limitless in it's application.

American Ving Tsun Kung Fu Academy

http://www.moyyat.net

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well first i would bring this question up with your instructor.

Beyond that, Forms in kung fu arent exactly the most useful in a fight, unless you really understand each move, and what it is supposed to be used for. Most sparring uses the basics becuase they are easy to implement.

Dont fear, both complex forms, and basic sparring techniques are good for you to learn... However if you really want to be able to use the complex kung fu form movements in combat(which is possible) then your going to have to really break them down and figure out what each move is used for.

Cry in the Dojo, Laugh on the Battlefield.

when i filled in my profile, i was in a two week introductory course to kyokushin karate school, but i decided not to join the school. i practice hung fut at tai yim kung fu school, hung fut is hung gar + buddha's palm (fut gar) . https://www.kungfu1.com is the webiste. T_T my dad said that since b4 i joined this school i took TKD and quit, i would have to stick with this school. :-( . now i'm going to go bang my head against the wall.

I'm 21, and I'm from a little place called Highland. I'm also going to the same school you are. I'm pretty new though, and I haven't started the sparring classes yet.

Why are you banging your head against the wall? It sounds like you've only been doing this a little longer than I have. I wouldn't get too frustrated with the training at this point; as you said, the school has a decent reputation. I'd stick with it for a while longer at least.