• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

my school is supposed to teach traditional kung fu, and they do teach traditional kung fu forms applications etc., but when it comes to sparring, its completely different! they start using uppercuts and hooks and even bobbing and weaving, basically it starts looking like american kickboxing. whats going on?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just wondering, what differences is there between american kickboxing and other kickboxing?

as for your main point, i have no idea...

if i was being suspicious, i would say that it might be that they don't have confidence in the style thay are teaching.

if i was being trusting, i would say that they are preparing you for the fight before showing you how to use techniques from your forms.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

my school is supposed to teach traditional kung fu, and they do teach traditional kung fu forms applications etc., but when it comes to sparring, its completely different! they start using uppercuts and hooks and even bobbing and weaving, basically it starts looking like american kickboxing. whats going on?

proabably just using practical attacks and defenses when it comes to real fighting :)

You should be happy your Instructor doesn't believe that one martial art is the catch all. You should learn how to throw basic punches. You ever been hit by an upper cut??? It hurts...no matter if a boxer throws it or a traditional Kungfu artist! Enjoy the training you are gettings...sounds like you have a good Instructor.

Good Luck!

i know, but its still kind of weird. does this happen at any of your schools? seriously, if you saw my school doing the slipping drills and the bobbing and weaving and hooks, you'd have thought it was a kickboxing school not a kung fu school.

uhh i would be pretty skeptical, if your doing kung fu, than you should know how to use its applications in sparring, if they start using kickboxing than thats not right really, unless you do san shou than maybe but other than that they should use the kung fu applications in sparring

what are you there to learn? boxing or kung fu? If you want boxing go learn the real stuff from someone who actually knows it. If you want Kung Fu well.....

---Aaron

Ving Tsun is limitless in it's application.

American Ving Tsun Kung Fu Academy

http://www.moyyat.net

I asked my teacher about it, he said that when you reached advanced sparring (there were different levels) , you would start using applications in sparring. Trust me my school knows what their doing, they always do well in the Full Contact part of the Annual National Chinese Tournament, which this year was held in Pittsburgh and its actually a real tournament. In basic sparring we do drills, like slipping and brushing jabs and blocking kicks and stuff in intermediate we start sparring and in advanced we go full contact and do applications.