• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does TKD have that Hapkido doesnt?

Thanks. In my job, I have 1 or 2 days a week that I have to sit on a phone queue to help prospects and customers. We sell Internet Access commercially so I've got a screaming IP connection and 9 hours to kill. I look up lots of stuff like that when it's slow. It gives me something to think about and study.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whear i come from the only thing you can study is korean martial arts. there is TKD, KSW and hapkido. But almost all the instructors from each club originated from the same hapkido master. So when I go to turniments there are many similarities between the styls.

I take Hapkido and have done some reserch. As was said the information can be taken differently but this is what I have descoverd.

The founder of hapkido is master choi, im not sure exacly how but he ended up in japan whear he was taught by his master (dont recal his name at the moment). Once his master became ill and on his death bed he told choi to return to Korea for safty reasons.

When he returned he opend his own club as he studied other martial arts and began to teach them in his school. Choi wanted to take the best of all the styles he studied. He took the kicks from TKD throws from judo and the joint locks from jujitsu. he also took more from other styls. He worked them in to finaly evolve in to hapkido.

However what seporates Hapkido is the the cane tectiqus taught at the high levels.

Martial Arts is for self-defence

It is for mental, phisical and speritual groth

people say black belt is the end

I say it is only the begining

Great post Sens55. Thumbs up bro! :up:

From discussing and working with Aikido and Daito Ryu practioners, Dojunim Choi's Hapkido seems to have more similarities to Daito Ryu than Aikido in philosophy and technique. Now from working and discussing with other Hapkido stylists, GM Ji, Han-Jae's Hapkido seems to have more incomon with Taekwondo than Dojunim Choi's and then the late GM Myung, Jae-Nam's Hapkido has a more "Aikido-esque" style to it. All three styles are very good, they just have a different flavor to them.

Fryia, during the Japanese occupation of Korea it was common for the Japanese to take Korean children back to Japan to work. Dojunim Choi said in an interview in 1982, "I became acquainted with a Mr. Morimoto, who was a Japanese businessman and candy store owner. Morimoto had no sons. When the time came for him to return to Japan he abducted me and took me with him to Japan..."

For the entire intervew you gan go to GM Rim, Jong-Bae's website - http://www.rimshapkido.com/ysc.html

Also, I give you alot of credit for researching into the past and trying to figure out what and where things came from.

You mentioned that most of the instructors in your area come from the same Hapkido instructor. Would you know who that is?

Take care :)

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

Thanks Chris,

I find the history somewhat interesting. However I also find it humorous when people broad stroke and art and say "it's this or it's that". Most don't realize that there are many interpretations of the same art, and that as a dynamic entity, one cannot just declare that "Hapkido is like Aikido" or "Hapkido is like TKD". Those are so broad that you could find examples in which it's like one or the other, or both, or neither depending on how you wanted to look at it.

• 6 months later...

Interesting discussion. Hapkido can be as intense as any other system, depending on the instructor and the students.

Sparring is usually not full contact though. When compared to full contact TKD, I prefer TKD sparring.

the first thing that comes to my mind is that hapkido is not considered to improve ur overall fitness and doesnt help get into/stay in shape, while tkd does.

Whoa! I'm not sure which Hapkido dojang you whatched, that didn't give a good workout. However, every one I've seen, including my own KSW dojangs, give a thorough workout. If you sit there for 2 hrs, constantly going through techniques, either throwing or being thrown and having to get up, you're going to be drenched in sweat by the end. :up:

True, I didn't appreciate the amount of working out you actually do in a Kuk Sool class till recently (been doing it about a year)...in a class your constantly working out, from kick/punch drills, forms (which are a good workout!) and especially techniques, as you said. Also, when someones doing the techniques on you your body gets more conditioned and hardened to the throws and the wrist/arm locks. Although in our class I don't think there's enough throwing or full on locking and finishes when carrying out the techniques (even with the higher grades!).

Chances are, if you study TKD at a dojang affiliated with an actual Kwan (Chung Do Kwan, Moo Duk Kwan etc), you will more likely learn techniques very similar to Hapkido. This includes kicking, takedowns, joint manipulation etc. If you learn TKD from a non-Kwan affiliated school, you will be much more likely to learn Olympic-style Tae Kwon Do that has no real self defense capabilities.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

Interesting post.

MichiganTKD, what exactly is the difference between a "kwan" affiliated school and one that is not?

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

After the World Tae Kwon Do Federation (WTF) formed, it was decided that each member Kwan would be abolished and forfeit its individual identity to the WTF. There would be no more Kwans. However, some of the Kwans in reality did not go away, Chung Do Kwan included. We are still around. What I mean is, many schools that teach WTF-style (meaning heavy on the Olympic sparring) do not have Kwan affiliation. They are just a WTF school. On the other hand, some organizations are WTF but still maintain their Kwan affiliation. Their Instructor traces his lineage to the Head Kwan Jang, even if several generations before. For example, our Grandmaster's Instructor is Woon Kyu Uhm, President of World Chung Do Kwan in Korea. We have met him.

The schools still affiliated with a Kwan are more likely to teach old style Tae Kwon Do before it changed to Olympic-style-power kicking, self defense, joint locking etc. The non-Kwan affiliated schools are more likely to teach sport style and pretty much do whatever the WTF tells them, primarily the newer and younger instructors.

My opinion-Welcome to it.