What does TKD have that Hapkido doesnt?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A different focus on techs, different forms, and a presence in the olympic games. Not to mention greater availiblity of schools (at least in my area). Man, I tried for a long time to find a hapkido school that was close enough and in the same price range as other school in the area but it was really hard!

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Niel,

You might try talking to a TKD school. Quite often some of the TKD schools will also teach separate HKD classes. Others teach the HKD to their black belts only.

Well written history lesson Sens55 :up: , closer to the truth than a lot of people would admit too let alone take the time to research.

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Scott Shaw's book Hapkido: Korean Art of Self-Defense said that Hapkido is more closely related to Aikido than TKD.

It seems to me that many martial arts styles differ not so much in techniques as they do in philosophy. Some have divided MA into "soft styles" such as Hapkido and Aikido and "hard styles" such as TKD. I would agree with this, even though I'm certainly not expert enough to distinguish the subtle differences between the MAs.

Long ago when I was an Orange belt in TKD, a fellow orange belt classmate said he was going to try a Hapkido technique for "capturing" a roundhouse kick during sparring. Unfortunately for him, he never could grab the leg of the brown belt he sparred, while the brown belt kept kicking him again and again. After that he said, oh well, there are some things you just can't practice well just from out of a magazine. :D

Does anyone remember seeing the old Billy Jack movies? Those fight scenes were choreographed by Hapkido expert Bong Soo Han.

Lamonte

Traditional hapkido is closely related to Aikido...actually the Korean Word and the Japanese word are written exactly the same in their respective language...

Korean Character (in Korean) = Japanese Character (in Japanese)

Bong Soo Han does a different traditional form of Hapkido

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

There are many differences if one wants to take the time to distinguish them but that is what makes the beauty of martial arts.

The reason you see alot of TKD kicks in hapkido is because most masters from Korea learn both TKD and HKD at the same time and it is only natural to introduce techniques form one ot the other. A master told me once that if you combine both of the styles into one mind or stlye you come out with a very effective martial art. If you really want to see a stlye that seems to blend them very well is Kyuk Too Ki. TKD teaches you endurance, speed, fast and powerful kicks, and a very conditioned body as far a flexibility. HKD teaches one the theory of opposites, mechancis of how the body works in different manipulations, powerful hand techniques and a "iron conditioned" body to take blows. These are jsut some of the main obvious ones but there are many more characteristics.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

What is often missed is that a name (i.e. Hapkido, Aikido, TKD) is a static reference to a dynamic entity. That entity, the art, is ever-growing, ever-evolving and therefore very difficult to define.

I would agree that Hapkido has a lot in common with Aikido, especially in name. If you read the histories of both, you'll find that that creator of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba, and one of Hapkido's creators, Choi Yong Sool, both studied a form of Ju Jutsu called Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jutsu. But each master then added their own style and philosopy to them. From what I've seen (and in Aikido it's not too much, just a few classes), the philsophy of Aikido differs substantially today from Hapkido.

But, as I said, Hapkido is a name that actually emcompasses many differences, and the historians of the art acknowledge as much, as evidenced in "Hapkido - History":

"Editor's Note: Much of early Hapkido history is difficult, if not impossible to establish accurately and is often based on oral recitations that cannot now be substantiated. We leave it to the informed reader to draw their conclusions as the the validity of claims made. A careful reader will note that there are contradictions contained in various contributor's versions of the same events. It is clear that both Ji Han Jae and Choi, Young Sool were major contributors to this art and that Choi, Young Sool's style was probably closer to the source that is may be shared with Aikido while Ji Han Jae's style clearly added more kicks."

So, you can see that they even point out that some styles of Hapkido are closer to Aikido and others have more kicks, depending on which master's family tree you follow.

http://modernhapkido.org/history.htm

http://www.aaa-aikido.com/history.htm

whoah

nice research :up:

the history and philosophy always get my attention - even though none of it sticks, and thats some of the best - to the point - informative stuff i've seen around :)