• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does TKD have that Hapkido doesnt?

Not to bash TKD, but Hapkido includes about every kick that is taught in TKD as well as punches, elbows, knees, headbutts, chops, throws, joint locks, etc. What does TKD have that Hapkido doesn't? Just wondering. Also, for Hapkidoists out there, what would you say is the percentage of striking to grappling in hapkido?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you have against TKD, I mean seriously your posts seem to be taking any available shot at us. I know you said not to "bash TKD", but I'm speaking of your posts as a whole. Edited by Black Dragon

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

Honestly, I think the only thing would be small differences in practice methods, technique applications, testing requirements, traditions, katas, philosophy, grapples taught, aerial moves taught, sparring. You know just a couple of differences.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

I think the differences lie not so much in what is "in" the art, as the emphasis that each focuses on. It would be very difficult to say even then, as there are many styles of TKD that have different emphasis. Some are sport, some are traditional, some have a 50/50 hand/foot emphasis, some are 90/10. So any response would have to be based upon generalizations.

My question to you would be, "Why do you want to know"? Are you looking to take up TKD? Or just compare them? It's worth noting that many TKD styles have most elements of Hapkido in them as well (especially the traditional styles) and others teach Hapkido to their advanced belts. So, is your question, is it one of curiousity? Or are you trying to make a point?

the first thing that comes to my mind is that hapkido is not considered to improve ur overall fitness and doesnt help get into/stay in shape, while tkd does.

another difference is that there are many more prejudices around regarding tkd, than hapkido :)

In that case a history lesson might suffice. If you look at the history of TKD and Hapkido, they start pretty much back in the late 50's when the Korean government attempted to "create" national martial arts from the various schools that existed in Korea at that time. If you know Korean history a little, you'll know that Korea was controlled by Japan from something like 1912 until 1945, and then was split into 2 Koreas after WWII. Prior to that, the Korean peninsula had been controlled by the Chinese and Japanese off and on for centuries. As such, the Koreans had quite an identity issue. In other words, they didn't REALLY know who they were, becuase they'd never really been a country, just a group of kingdoms of were a state controlled by another power. They felt that having their own MA would help with that issue.

So, they created TKD from the various schools. Many schools were folding into what is now TKD. The same happened to Hapkido. TKD and Hapkido are the relatively new terms that are officially recognized by the Korean government. They are actually based on other "less Korean" arts like Ju Jitsu, Chinese Gung Fu and such. The history of Hapkido even says as much:

"During the years that followed, a large number of Korean martial arts appeared, including Hapkido, Tang Soo Do, and Taekwondo. It is difficult to separate which elements of these styles came from older Korean martial arts, and which came from other influences such as Japanese Karate, Budo and Aiki Jujutsu.

Combining the techniques of Daito-ryu with the techniques of the old Korean style T'ang Hand, Choi formulated the principle techniques of “Hapkido". This style came of age as an art in 1963 with the official use of the term Hapkido. Choi worked with Ji, Han Jae to develop and teach Hapkido to various military, police and elite bodyguard factions in Korea and around the world."

As you can see, both of the arts are roughly based off of the same arts and just have "new" names. The T'ang Hand that he refers to is the same "Tang" in Tang Soo Do, which is a Chinese term. Tae is the rough Korean equivalent. The difference is not so much as what is "in" the art, but like I said, what each art chooses to emphasize. TKD as most of us know it, obviously focuses more on the hard styles of kicking and punching. Hapkido on the soft joint locks and throws. But TKD also has soft elements with the same moves and vice versa. Some schools teach an even combination of both and some have more focus on certain elements. So to answer your initial question "What does TKD have that Hapkido doesn't?" the answer would probably be "Nothing". But then again, Hapkido doesn't necessarily have anything that is not found somewhere in TKD. Hope that helps.

http://www.khihapkido.com/Choi.htm

the first thing that comes to my mind is that hapkido is not considered to improve ur overall fitness and doesnt help get into/stay in shape, while tkd does.

Whoa! I'm not sure which Hapkido dojang you whatched, that didn't give a good workout. However, every one I've seen, including my own KSW dojangs, give a thorough workout. If you sit there for 2 hrs, constantly going through techniques, either throwing or being thrown and having to get up, you're going to be drenched in sweat by the end. :up:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

My TKD school isn't much different than Hapkido. We learn some of the same stuff. Throws, take-downs, joint locks, grappling, ect. And a lot of the same kicks. It's probably not EXACTLY the same techniques, but close. The only differance I see are the forms.

Laurie F