• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Two different sets of techniques?

Luna

Hi everybody!

I've thought about starting karate (probably some "hard" style like kyokushin) but there's one thing that puzzles me.

If i'm correct(?) for example in kyokushin there are two different sets of techniques. The basic techniques (kihon) and the sparring techniques. In sparring you punch like boxers and the punches in kihon are more "traditional". What I mean with this is that you for example hold your other hand in hip while punching etc (which sounds stupid to me).

So what's the point in learning two different sets of techniques? Wouldn't it be simple to learn just one set? Also what's the point in learning to punch "tradionally" while not covering your head like boxers?

These "tradional" techniques sound like a waste of time but is there a real point in learning them?

Or am I totally misunderstood here?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There is a reason for everything in martial arts training and often times it takes many years to figure out. Each "basic" is a building block for other techniques and sometimes skipping them causes problems down the road. It's kind of like learning to walk before you crawl-things can be uncoordinated and off-balance. On the other hand, some modern martial arts take advantage of what has been tried and learned before and teach only those that are relavent-it depends on the desired outcome and the style. To each his own!

Finally, do not think of it as learning two sets of techniques, think of it as learning twice as many.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Thanks ninjanurse for your explanation!

However, I'm still puzzled about learning two types of techniques, effective and non-effective. I just don't see the point in learning all these knife hand etc strikes and then learning totally different techniques for sparring. Well maybe karate isn't for me, I think i'll try something more practical and straighforward like Muay thai, savate etc..

Thanks anyway!

:karate:

Luna,

Strikes can be blocks and blocks can be strikes. Each technique has many applications that can serve you well in sparring. Muy Thai is a good choice and I think you will find that even that has "hidden" applications that will serve you well. Good luck!

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Very Good Question Luna.

There are 2 ways in which i think about it.

1. when you practice the formal kihon version

in class, your teaching your arm an

optimum "groove" that belongs to that block, which incorporates all of the applications, thereby practicing the full range of motion with power and speed. When it comes to sparring, you then are able to insert your arm into that groove anywhere along its path (as may be required by the circumstances) while also maximising the strength and speed for that aspect of the block or strike because at that point you're in the groove that you're already accustomed to.

2. The constant repetition of kihon (if done correctly) will preload the body with the automatic

movement. When you learn to ride a bike, you ride in a straight line on fairly level ground, but when you go mountain biking you use the same

movements you learned to use when you started, but you adapt them to the terrain and other

exigencies. You can ride in the mountains because certain kinds of movement

have become automatic and work. It is the same with martial arts techniques. If you learn to use a hammer correctly, you can drive a nail easily because you have the technique. What size nail you drive, where you drive it, at what angle

you drive it, and what you are building are determined by you later. All this

presumes that you are learning the correct principles of movement and practicing

them until they are automatic.

Not to metion it teaches you hip rotation, twisting, deflection, etc. which will add power to your techniques.

Hope this has helped. It alot easier to demonstate.

Remember, different styles have different ways of teaching the same thing. Try a few styles out and see which one u think best fits you.

I think of it like this, In a self defense situation all your strikes may come into play like if someone grabs you or threatens you, an agresser and a victim.Sparring is totally different as to that both people are squared off and realdy for a fight.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

I think ninjanurse and cross are correct here. The basics are not always what they seem to be. You can have many many techniques that derive themselves from the proper application of a basic technique. But, you have to have the proper basic technique down and understand that technique before you can extrapolate other techniques from it. This is why kata is designed to look so very basic in most instances. It's like cross said, if you want to become a carpenter, you have to put tools in your tool box and learn how to use them.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.