• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pre-class/tournament routines

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I drink alot of water the night before and the day of. I also take at least an hour to meditate during the morning of the competition. "Pumping yourself up" is effective to some, but I find it much more effective to relax and invite the mental clarity that allows one (or myself, at least) to respond in the most effective and efficient manner to my opponent.

I also eat a Very light breakfast. Wake up 3-4 hours before I need to be there and stretch, stretch, stretch. I used to like getting "pumped up" but that only resulted in getting the jitters while I wait for my match. Relaxing and/or meditation is much better. I also wear my lucky draws too.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

meditating is good. but i find it's best to do a combination of meditating and then pumping up.

meditate for 20 minutes, then practice with a partner with some simple feed drills and maybe light sparing. this way you're relaxed but not groggy.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

i have a cd i listen to on the way there. it has some dropkick murphys, some incubus, some rammstein, some radiohead, and some barry mannilow. also, i eat a plate of spaghetti the night before and get plenty o' sleep :)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Class

I find that my body needs a better warm-up then most people, so I try to get to class 30 minutes early and do the following:

Skip rope - 2 rounds (skip 3 minutes, rest 1 minute, skip for 3 minutes)

Static stretching - 8 minutes

Dynamic stretching - 7 minutes

Miscellaneous exerices for balance or practice technique - 5 minutes

Also, I have only recently started to train, so I need all the flexibility and balance work I can get.

Tournaments

Back when I was competing in Judo, I would try to always carboload the night before the tournament and spend the morning visualizing my techniques and the opponent's potential actions.

Cheers!

Here's what I did for tournaments:

- Get lots of sleep the night before

- Don't eat breakfast if it's a morning tournament, because I'll probably end up losing it during sparring. benedictbm knows what I'm talking about :nod:

- Stretch before I leave the house and all during the time I'm waiting for my division

- While I'm stretching at home, listen to my "pump-up" music, which can vary.

- Do some nice warmups at the tournament arena...I usually just end up hopping up and down and running around from nerves....

- Finally, I meditate for a bit. Try to find some calm in all the noise.

Interestingly enough, this was also my exact same strategy for my blackbelt test! Guess it worked :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.