• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like a girl at my martial arts schoool !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago, two of our school students (now senior instructors) started dating. Our Instructor told them to either break up or get married, so they got married. However, I normally would not recommend that.

My advice is this: If both of you are color belts, forget it. These relationships can only be bad for your class relationship. If you break up you will be mad at her and either quit or take it out on her in class.

Black belt to black belt is possible. If one of you is a color belt and one is a black belt, wait until both of you are black belts. And it is preferable to ask the Instructor for his permission and advice. If you wanted to date a black belt in another school, you would need to ask that Instructor's permission.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

Years ago, two of our school students (now senior instructors) started dating. Our Instructor told them to either break up or get married, so they got married. However, I normally would not recommend that.

My advice is this: If both of you are color belts, forget it. These relationships can only be bad for your class relationship. If you break up you will be mad at her and either quit or take it out on her in class.

Black belt to black belt is possible. If one of you is a color belt and one is a black belt, wait until both of you are black belts. And it is preferable to ask the Instructor for his permission and advice. If you wanted to date a black belt in another school, you would need to ask that Instructor's permission.

Its karate class not the military! :P If we are talking about adults then I don't think it is the business of the instructor. If the students are under 18 then maybe there should be some moderation.

I don't think you would ever have to ask to date a BB or anyone else from another school. IMHO :karate:

KarateForums.com Sempai

This how it is done in a traditional TKD class. Class should not be used as peoples' personal dating pool. It is not a social club either, although students are allowed to have fun sometimes.

Anyway, my class my rules. I've seen too many hard feelings arise from in-class dating relationships gone bad. Besides, with all the options available outside class. why do you need class to meet women (or men)?

I dont think you should go to class with the intention of meeting people...but if it happens it happens.

Thats just my opinion.

I will also say this...if I trained at a school that had those rules I would respect them and follow them...but I don't agree with them.

KarateForums.com Sempai

Please keep in mind, I don't use these rules to be a hardass. My job as an Instructor is to keep everything professional. That's awfully hard to do if I have to worry about who's dating whom, who's breaking with whom, who's mad at whom because of said breakup. As well as the resulting jealousies, gossip, petty politics etc. It makes things much easier if I just say "No inter-student dating."

I know perfectly well that (a) women and men are going to be mingling and (b) Tae Kwon Do practice makes you strong physically and mentally, for both sexes. This is going to make you look more desirable to the opposite sex. However, I think it is still better to discourage students from dating and eliminate a lot of problems this can cause.

Otherwise, we lose sight of the reason we are here: strong practice.