• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata, hundreds of years of martial wisdom or cultural dances

Tote

What should kata be classified as?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What should kata be classified as?

• Jujutsu-powered self-defense instruction manuals.
    • Dances for martial artists.
    • There a great cardio work out but nothing more.

If kata were only a dance then you would prob. do them to music much like the Capporia (sp) style does. Or any given African tribe. Kata has no drums, no music, nothing to force a beat so how could you consider it a dance. Its ofter called a dance because thats about the only way you can explain it to a NON martial artist.

Kata holds all the techinques you will need for your given art. So its the teachers book is many ways. It holds the answers.

At the same time there is much more to kata than just memorizing the steps like you do with a dance. Each step or move is there for a reason. Kata forces you do work on moves your not good at and it makes you work them both left and right most of the time. Thus its a great training tool.

By doing kata correctly you get in shape because as you said it is a good cardio workout. Kata sort of combines 2 things at once if I have to work cardio and basics why not do them together and just do kata. Good way to save time IMO.

Ready my article on kata for more of my insights.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kata is a necessary training tool that promotes good stances, technique, memory, concentration, form, etc.....

"Kata is a necessary" Why?

Its like that old saying - "if you have to ask......."