• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata, hundreds of years of martial wisdom or cultural dances

Tote

What should kata be classified as?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What should kata be classified as?

• Jujutsu-powered self-defense instruction manuals.
    • Dances for martial artists.
    • There a great cardio work out but nothing more.

I wrote 3 or 4 posts on another thread about this but it was deleted for no reason I can think of.

Do you think kata are useful pieces of information or just simple dances? Please list reasons why you feel kata has or will affect you martial arts ability. (If you can please define words that are not in English)

I believe kata are nothing more then cardio dancing for tough guys/girls in white pajamas.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kata from what style? Japanese and Korean karate? Yes, almost entirely useless except for physical fitness. Okinawan or Chinese? No, it is the vehicle of knowledge and technique transfer.

Does that answer your query?

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

I agree, let's get rid of kata, bowing and the uniforms too. We can all come to class in sweats, shake hands, beat each other senseless with whatever might be handy and go home. Sounds like fun, but it's not karate.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I agree with sasori-te, you can enroll in a mma class or jeet kune do and go in there and work out, I have nothing against that. Thoes of us who enjoy karate love it for the art and the way of life, to me self defense is way different than fighting. There are techniques in kata that work very well and if you do bunki it will all make sense.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

I'm with Sasori_Te. If you just want to kick and punch people, join Kick boxing, Karate has elements of Tradition to it.

Plus, it helps with Muscle memory and technique.

Count me in with Sasori. I believe that kata is the essence of karate, without them karate would be the mere learning of various fighting and self-defense techniques, expressing nothing and allowing for no aesthetic development. IMHO :karate: G95Champ has submitted a good article (see articles section above) about kata. It's a very good read, check it out.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I've trained with Master Jiro Shiroma in Phoenix. He has changed his entire opinion of what he thought martial arts should be. He's started teaching kick boxing and Thai boxing in his classes along with Brazilian Jujitsu. But you know what? He still does the Shorin Ryu katas. He still gets his inspiration there. At least he did the last time I was there about a year ago.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Kata is a necessary training tool that promotes good stances, technique, memory, concentration, form, etc.....

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.