• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice on what could be best for me.

If you don't mind a longer wait, Aikido is another option.

Kuk Sool Won is similar to Hapkido, in the event there's one close by.

Definately watch a few classes to see if what they are doing is similar to what you're looking for.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be bias toward my own style, but I think you would enjoy Tae Kwon Do. At 5'11 120lbs. you are tall and slim, which in TKD translates to long reach, and quick on the toes. At such a light weight I think it would be advantageous to work on an art that increases your speed because you do not necessarily want to stand in front of someone and slug it out, or try to wrestle strength for strength. As you put on more weight and at least have TKD as a foundation I would then try Hapkido or Aikido.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

Thank you all for the advice you have given me, and i don't doubt part of it was to do with my age.

If anyone else has any advice it would be welcome, and i will have a look into the martial arts you have listed.

My advice is to pay attention not only to the art, but to the school and the instructors. Everyone learns differently, and if one instructor uses a teaching style that doesn't work as well with you, it might be an impediment to your learning, even if the art is one you might otherwise like. It may take some time, but look around. If you read some of the other posts in this forum, you'll see that people have much different experiences from one another, even within the same art. Find the one that works for you. Try/watch a few classes first. If you do, I think you'll find that, for whatever reason, one style/school/instructor will appeal to you more. No need to try and figure out why, just go with that feeling and you'll probably be better off.

• 2 weeks later...
i am a 15 year old girl, 5'0 and 90-100 lbs. i'm reading a book called complete karate by j. allen queen. i am a disabled person but can still learn karate. i was wondering what type of martial art would be best for me. i can punch, kick, twist, jump, just about anything. my hands and arms are not normal. i have shorter arms, and don't have two useful elbows. i only have two fingers on one hand and one on the other hand. but i can punch with my right hand very well. i have more strength in my arms than anyone who saw me would think. please give me advice on this subject, i've never been in a karate school or anything. i've just been doing some studying and stretching and eating right.

WarR and Soni, I'm going to recomend American Kenpo to both of you. WarR, you should check it out if there is a school near you because it is different in both the way it trains and in its moves and application. It isn't necessarily for everybody, but it sounds like it might suit you.

Soni, you need an art that works in close and is highly adaptable. AK fits these requirements. But more than a good style that can be adapted to you, you are going to need an instructor that is both willing and able to work with you and help you adjust. It will also require a lot of the other students, but if you are working hard I think that most martial artists in any style will be willing to help.

I know the style can be made to work for almost anyone. AK uses all ranges and all natural weapons, and is designed to be adapted to the individual. It uses a lot of straight arm strikes as well (you mentioned elbow problems). AK also emphasizes footwork and works all angles, which will be important to you if your ability to block or parry is compromised. We don't normally do a lot of high kicks, but that can be adjusted also, and I've known a couple of Kenpoists that were pretty effective with higher kicks. AK does have a full arsenal of kicks.

I'd also recomend that you both check out Tai Chi Chuan, especially if you can't find a good school nearby that meets your needs. But find a school that teaches it as a martial art and not just as a healthy dance. The dancers get less than half the health bennifits out of it, and none of the martial bennifits. Tai Chi (Taiji) is extremely adaptable, as well as effective. But it takes a lot longer to learn to a level of competance that you could use it to defend yourself. You are both young, so this is not a great problem- unless you are impatient. (If that is the case, you need to reevaluate your priorities or you will likely fall victom to a belt factory. Any martial art worth learning takes time and effort.)

I wish you both luck.

Freedom isn't free!

• 3 weeks later...

You need to take Western Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Wrestling, and BJJ.

Cross training and participating in realistic sparring in these systems and in NHB contests will make you an Ultimate Fighter.

Peace, Love, Harmony