• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice on what could be best for me.

Hello, and sorry if i break the guide-lines with this post / topic as i am new to the board.

I was wondering if i could ask the advice from the people of this forum.

I am 17, male, and i weight 119lbs and i am 5'10".

I am of above average health and wish to take up martial arts in the oxfordshire area of the united kingdom, and i was wondering if people would be able to give me advice on what martial art would be best for me?

I have studied Shotokan Karate, from 6 - 10 years of age, and i did a month of judo, neither of which i enjoyed.

Any help would be welcome!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't you like either of them? Letting us know what you don't like may help us better understand what you will like.

first i will start with judo then go onto why i did not like shotokan.

Judo, I personly found i did not like the grappling elements of judo, well it was useful i would rather do something i think would protect me better.

Shotokan, I never got on with this style i personly, did not like the moevs i was learning.

Well, you pretty moch covered a lot of Martia lArts there. I'm sorr,y please be a little more spacific. You don't like grappling, peroid? Or just some elements, which ones? And what moves didn't you like from Shotokan?

I am looking for Self defense in a martial art, and i am not 100% against grappling, i would rather counter, or do a joint lock, then graple.

As for shotokan, i am not 100% sure exactly what bit i did not like when i was doing it, but mainly the stances, and how i would attack from them.

I would recommend Hapkido. Hapkido, or at least a school near me, teaches punching, kicking, elbows, knees, joint locks, throws, ground fighting, head butting, sweeping, and more. It is excellent for self defense as well.

If you can't find a Hapkido school, find a Jujitsu school, they are very similer, both involve all that you talked about, working with both strike and grappling.

Well you have to find what you enjoy but I would say the reason you did not like Shotokan is becuase of your age. Im sorry but young kids just don't catch on to it well. Yeah they are some exceptions but few. The kata application and the ability to think past the low stance as a training tool weed out a lot of people.

Good luck in finding an art you enjoy. Come back to your Shotokan club in a few years and see if you like it better.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."