• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kenpo

shotokanwarrior

Hello, are there any kenpo people in here? If so what style and do u like it? I am thinking about doing kenpo because of location and cost, I am orange belt in shotokan now and how would it be to change?

thanks

Where Art ends, nature begins.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yes, there is...I study Kempo, specifically Kara-Ho Kempo. As far as transitioning from Shotokan, I don't see it being a difficult change. It'll also depend on the type of Kenpo/Kempo you have in your area. I know you'll find more self defense techniques than you would in Shotokan. You'll also have katas and the such, as well as some weapons training. Good luck on the change :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I have a good friend that is a Sensei in American Kenpo. The style has more similarities to Chinese Gung Fu than it does to Japanese Karate but it is an interesting and potentially effective. I think you would probably enjoy the differences rather than be hindered by them. I say give it a try. Good luck!

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Yes, I take Shaolin Kempo. I also have taken Shotokan and I think that you will have the basics covered. In the kempo I take, it has more self defense and also covers groundwork and take-downs on a regular basis. You will find that it also teaches you some softer moves as well. Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Kenpo is a very general japanese term for "Chuan Fa" or Fist Style, what most people mean when they use the term "Kung Fu". There is no specific Kenpo except for Okinawan Kenpo or Shorin Kenpo. Everything else is hodge-podge ryu. Kosho is no exception. Shotokan although very sporty is better than any Americanized or bred Kenpo. All that kenpo junk you see is Ed parker or Mitose influenced mediocre karate and Chuan Fa techs. Some JJJ may be added.

Don't mess with any of it. It teaches you the art of no foundation because it was developed by someone who had mastered nothing. Sorry, the truth hurts. Plus, the Mitose brand was used to terrorize weak, unempowered immigrants from Japan, or so I've found out through research. Extortion and murder is not cool. Or so I've been told.

Actually I do like some Kajukenbo, but that is it. Bye.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

Shotokan Warrior, you need to loo at the available styles, see if you think you might enjoy one of them and go with that. It's not the style it's the person that matters. Good luck

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Extortion and murder is not cool. Or so I've been told.

No, its not cool. I'm glad someone filled you in.

Actually I do like some Kajukenbo, but that is it. Bye.

Most of the Kempo that I know of is very simular to Kajukenbo as it comes from that system. If I were you I would listen to someone who knows what they speak of, like Pacificshore.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.