• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should Kicks ever go higher than your own waist level?

Sasori_Te

The kick is just another weapon in your arsenal. It is unreasonable to place a hard and fast rule that forbids kicks above the waist. The number of situations that using a high kick is more practical than a punch are few, however there is no reason not to capitalize on the high kick when the opportunity presents itself. I find that oftentimes I can sneak a kick to the side of the head when my opponent is distracted by my hands.

You can't be a real Matsumura Orthodox practitioner. You obviously have never fought for real either. The adrenal glad makes the average man more resilient than you can imagine. This ain't about sparring, it's about life or limb. If your kick misses or fails to KO the opponent you're a s s out!

Who's your sensei? Doesn't he teach Machimura's karate? Learning high kicks for flexibility and kumite is one thing. Learning them to do them on the street is another. You and Sasori Te need to go train with Dan Gomez in Slidell, Lousiana. He'll show you real Okinawan karate (Shuri Te) and its precepts.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic, but I think I need to say it.

I have yet to see any amount of adrenaline prevent someone I've just kicked in the head from passing out.

I have 100% effectiveness in this experience. Meaning I have yet to kick someone in the head with intent of knocking them out and not have it happen. Every single person I have done this to has fallen to the ground unconscious.

Please note I do not compete or sport martial arts. Just simple street.

Also, on the same note, I have yet to see any amount of adrenaline provide resilence to pain or injury in any of the fights I have been in. Every single one of my attacks has done what they were intended to do. I have yet to hit a person so pumped up on adrenaline that they did not feel my punch.

I think perhaps that adrenaline is sometimes too oft purported as a definitive factor in a fight. In my 20+ years of experience I have yet to see evidence that supports that. What I have seen of adrenaline does not support the stories of adrenaline.

On a final note: while living some years in teh Philippines and dealing with NPA in Northern Luzon I failed to see adrenaline make someone resilient to debilitating pain.

Adrenaline is good. I believe it helps put your mind and body on a good level for fighting, but I do not think that it decides anything about a fight. Individuals do that.

Just my 2cents.

And to repeat my earlier post. I do believe that you should kick above the waist. As SaiFightsMS stated so perfectly: DEADLY if you have the SPEED, and FLEXIBILITY(capitals added).

MA.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein