• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should Kicks ever go higher than your own waist level?

Sasori_Te

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should be able to put our feet wherever we want; low, middle, high, etc... we have to be able to kick Anywhere if we Want to.

Yes! Versatility makes you better in every way and if you are physically limited you must adapt to survive. Confidence in your skills and knowledge of your body can make all the difference in a fight. Additionally, kicking high develops balance, strength, flexability and coordination-so much so that any kick to the mid-section will be more devastating should the opportunity arise. Lastly, never assume that your favorite target is going to present itself, expect that it won't.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Can high kicks be effective? Yes, and that's from a JJ guy that only kicks low. But to be effective you have got to be very, very fast. That type of speed may be impossible for some to develop (and at 50 and having never practiced high kicks I'd include myself in the number) or requires a tremendous amount of time and effort to develop to the point where they can be used effectively in a SD situation. My guess is that for the vast majority of MA's high kicks are not option A, B or C in a self-defense situation.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

I'm in that number too pmh1nic. Maybe once upon a time when I was 19 or twenty. But, it's better to know your weaknesses than not, so I don't feel too terrible about it. I still practice high kicks but only to more fully develop my low kicks.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I'm in that number too pmh1nic. Maybe once upon a time when I was 19 or twenty. But, it's better to know your weaknesses than not, so I don't feel too terrible about it. I still practice high kicks but only to more fully develop my low kicks.

Ditto and yep!

I totally disagree with anyone who advocates kicking above the waist on the street. I can do front and back flips as well as front and back handsprings. Would I use that as an evasionary tactic? Helll naw! Kicks, period, are a bad idea. Hands and more hands unless you catch your opponent kicking high. Then you can just kick their kick or their supporting leg.

It is good to know things, but to use them in self-preservation is another thing. If you've ever fought to save your arssse (as an adult) you would know this, man. Destroy their balance, not yours. I guess most karate is just kickboxing now regardless of country of origin or ryu. Oh well, live and learn the hard way....

Budo of Nominals is the order of the day :)!

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

I totally disagree with anyone who advocates kicking above the waist on the street. I can do front and back flips as well as front and back handsprings. Would I use that as an evasionary tactic? Helll naw! Kicks, period, are a bad idea. Hands and more hands unless you catch your opponent kicking high. Then you can just kick their kick or their supporting leg.

It is good to know things, but to use them in self-preservation is another thing. If you've ever fought to save your arssse (as an adult) you would know this, man. Destroy their balance, not yours. I guess most karate is just kickboxing now regardless of country of origin or ryu. Oh well, live and learn the hard way....

Budo of Nominals is the order of the day :)!

I generally agree, except no kicks? I find and have seen low kicks ( knee take-outs, back of calf, quad pressure points, etc... to be very useful and not very risky (even for an old guy like me :lol: ) What d'ya think?

I would disagree with no kicks. I was able to use low kicks, among other things, to "save my arssse" as Hohan puts it. It depends on what your comfortable with and what opportunities present themselves.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.