• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"90% of fights end up on the ground"?

Ive been reading a lot lately about how essential it is to learn some type of ground fighting because "nearly all fights end up on the ground". Now Ive done Judo a bit and loved it, Im not trashing Jui Jitsu, but I think that in the street you would never take the fight to ground, and if you got knocked down the object would be to get to your feet as quick as humanly possible whilst not getting the you-know-what kicked out of you. Luckily I have never taken this type of kicking, unfortunatly friends of mine have.In all cases they were already outnumbered. Getting up on their feet, keeping moving and making sure they didnt go down again saved them, and stand up fighting skills would have helped.

I realise there is a lot more to Jiu Jitsu and Judo than groundwork. What do you people think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many fights end up on the ground. Yes, it should be avoided, but alot of times it CAN'T be avoided. So, the ground is a good place to learn to be comfortable on. If you know how to fight on the ground, there is a good chance you can position yourself to get up off of the ground quickly.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Yes, i that if you don't like to fight on the ground.. you still need to learn how to fight on your back and learn how to get up and make a fight on your feet.

Avoid being taken down is sometimes very hard specially when your oponent Wants to take you down.

It is good to have every weapon at your advantage for the event of a real life situation. It should never be regarded as a bad thing to learn as much. Some people say they are wastes of time. They are just lazy or can't do it themselves for other commitments.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Ground fighting is essential... If u come up againsta grappler or anyone who wants to wrestle and is strong then the ground is the place u will end up and once u are in a lock there is no way of getting out of it without grappling back.... this is what scares me, cos a grappler could just break my neck and i'd be stuffed!

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Both are essential, I'm primarily a striker but oddly enough feel more comfortable to go to the ground. Its juss that even being a good striker, street fighters still have a chance, specially the experienced ones...but on the ground...they're done. And I', kinda small so i'm at a disadvantage, i can kick pretty high regularily but sometimes when i get into a sticky situation i freeze up somewhat and would only do body level kicks and punches, and if my opponent is too big....u understand. I had felt kinda upset at my lack of confidence in my striking. Then I learned some grappling from various sources and currently train wit my brother to improve it and stuff. So now that i think of it...its not so scary to get into a confrontation...TAKE 'EM TO THE GROUND! lol. I not a *****, i'm like the toughest guy in my karate class, but i'd love do do BJJ, soon i hope. Anyone know any good sites to learn techniques?

"Live free.

Die well..."