• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Naihanchi and Tekki.

Beer-monster

Just a quick question that I need some help with.

Where are the kiai in the naihanchi or tekki kata. I recently learnt Naihanchi nidan to go with naihanchi shodan but I have no idea where the suggested kiai points are in either (Stupid to forget that aint it :wink: ).

So could someone tell me where the kiai are in Naihanchi shodan, nidan and sandan? :D

And just to start some conversation what is everone opinion of these kata , what are your bunkai for it and anything else you'd like to discuss pertaining to these forms. :karate:

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Tekki Shodan they are on both Doulbe punches.

In Tekki Nidan they are on both hammer strikes.

In Tekki Sandan they are on the backfist just before you start moving back to the left. The other is on the last move.

Tekki Shodan I love, Nidan I don't exactly have my timming down good on and Sandan is fun but I find myself going to fast. Sandan is prob my fav. of the 3 to do.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Double punches, where?

And hammer fist strikes, thats rather early in the kata, which is a little off but never mind.

What do you like about the kata, and why sandan (haven't learnt that one yet)

In Tekki Shodan the last move as you go left and the final move of the kata. Some may call it a hammer fist and short punch. Some may call it a throw. but one arm is out and the other is crossing your chest. This is the move after the last wave kick and hand strike.

In Tekki Nidan you go right then come back left and do all the elbow and stuff then you step over and do the hammer fist thats the first Kiai. The last one is on the same move when you do it the other way the last move of the kata.

The quick hand strikes In sandan make it fun I think. Again if I don't think or practice it for a while I get carried away and forget to move. LOL Mainly because I just get caught up in the quick snapping and moveing of the hands. I really don't know what my favorite kata is. There are still 6 I do not know yet. But Im sure Tekki Sandan will be in my top 3 or 4 when that time comes.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

On line I don't know. The Kenneth Funakoshi tapes you can order from Panther are good but its only the stnad up SD version. 24fightingchickens.com will give some insight to the kata. Their was an article in Black Belt Mag. several years back that went into the ground def. aspect of the kata's.

I just thouight while we're talking about Naihanchi I'd put up this article by Iain Abernethy about it. Tell us what you think...

http://www.geoffthompson.com/guest_writers/IanAbernethy/Guest_Writers_Iain_Abernethy_page5.htm