Sasori_Te

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh i think belt is no point. Like it doesn't show how well you fight. It shows your experience. Like what if the Orange Belt performs more katas.

I am white Belt and i beat Oranges. So there is nothing wrong with a good healthy white belt

Angel

YELLOW BELT Shotokan Karate Ka 5th Kyu

Turkey

Karate is for Self Defense not Offense

When I went from Judo to Karate I went back to white belt from orange belt - no big deal, and the two were only marginally related (the bowing, counting and a couple of stances were all that were related at that point).

At this point (I have a black belt in Goju), I'd still just wear whatever belt the instructor suggests I wear, whether it be a white belt or my actual rank with one caveat: if I compete in tournaments, I would always wear my highest rank, (regardless of what I do in class); as a Goju black belt it is completely inappropriate to wear a Shotokan/Wado ryu, etc white belt in a tournament - it would be totally unfair in my opinion - cheating. I've seen it happen (and disapproved), though some tournament circuits actually have rules preventing that.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

After i passed my black belt test or sensei made us wear white belts for about 2 weeks or so, to get us to remember where we came from. I think it's a great idea and it was also pretty cool to be able to go back to our white belts:)

1st degree blackbelt

Nickname: Sparky

"I will train untill I succed, I will train untill I succed, I will train, I will succed!!

I don't wear a sash unless we get cleaned up for a demo. Perhaps because of that i don't care what colour it is.

As for tournaments or street fights i treat everyone as a threat and will attempt to defeat them as quickly as possible regarless of belt colour.

Excellent point karate_woman. I hate people sand-bagging in tournaments. You should always wear your highest rank in a tournament. If you choose to compete do it in as honorable a way as possible.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

practise is the key, I notice your English gets better on some posts as opposed to others. So does your martial arts knowledge. How is that? *S* Since we're talking about sandbagging here.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I've changed my opinion about this issue. At first, I felt that you should keep your rank in the new dojo. Now, I feel that if you are practicing a new style, then you should start at the bottom again. Your instructor should allow you to be on an "accelerated" rank schedule, removing hours requirements. Aside from the hours requirement, all other standards should remain. Once you have achieved a rank that will adequately challenge you with your skill level, then the normal hours restrictions should apply, if your dojo employs them.

practise is the key, I notice your English gets better on some posts as opposed to others. So does your martial arts knowledge. How is that? *S* Since we're talking about sandbagging here.

If you are referring to my English, my only explanation is the more hurried and/or emotional the response, the worse my grammar will be. In addition, the time of day I'm writing and other factors will affect my writing abilities (I've written at 2 am before). Obviously, the more time and thought I put into a post (and the more wide awake I am), the better it will read. Since (Canadian) English is pretty much all I've ever spoken and written on a consistent basis, that's all I can say about that :D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse