• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is "traditional" martial arts?

Sasori_Te

Which weapon set would be in the best tradition of karate?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which weapon set would be in the best tradition of karate?

• A) Weapons such as the bo, kama, tonfa...etc?
    • B) Weapons like the cane, 3 inch knife, kubotan and other legal carry weapons?

I always considered the traditional MA those that came from Japan, Korea, and China. Most have a multi focus in trining with kata being a key part to the developemnt. Maybe with the exception of Judo.

As far as weapons go I was always under the impression there were 7 traditional weapons. The Sword, Staff, Or, Tofa, Karma, Spear, and Numchuck. But I may have just heard that somewhere.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
O.K. here's my personal take on "traditional" martial arts. Everyone seems to throw around the word traditional a lot. After MUCH conversation with my teachers as well as some high ranking other folks that I've had the honor to meet and train with, I've come to this purely personal understanding. What was traditional to the old masters were techiniques that could be extracted from kata that worked for them. The weapons that they used, the sword, kama, bo, eku bo, nunchaku, tonfa ... etc., were implements that were readily available to them during the course of their day. The sword was the mark of the Bushi or warrior class and was seen as a sign of that title. So, I feel that the best traditions of the martial arts are to extract from the kata the techniques and mmeanings that you can make work for you. This is what makes the karate your own. The traditional weapons should also be things that are readily available and easy for you to access anywhere or anytime (including on a plane). These weapons for me include the cane, small blade knife, leather belt, self defense keychain ..... etc.. I still practice with the bo and sai, as well as Iaido sword techniques alond with escrima. These provide the dexterity and fine motor skills that are required to manipulate my modern choices. However, I always make sure to have plenty of practice with the weapons that I will have with me. This is just my humble opinion of course.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

O.K. here's my personal take on "traditional" martial arts. Everyone seems to throw around the word traditional a lot. After MUCH conversation with my teachers as well as some high ranking other folks that I've had the honor to meet and train with, I've come to this purely personal understanding. What was traditional to the old masters were techiniques that could be extracted from kata that worked for them. The weapons that they used, the sword, kama, bo, eku bo, nunchaku, tonfa ... etc., were implements that were readily available to them during the course of their day. The sword was the mark of the Bushi or warrior class and was seen as a sign of that title. So, I feel that the best traditions of the martial arts are to extract from the kata the techniques and mmeanings that you can make work for you. This is what makes the karate your own. The traditional weapons should also be things that are readily available and easy for you to access anywhere or anytime (including on a plane). These weapons for me include the cane, small blade knife, leather belt, self defense keychain ..... etc.. I still practice with the bo and sai, as well as Iaido sword techniques alond with escrima. These provide the dexterity and fine motor skills that are required to manipulate my modern choices. However, I always make sure to have plenty of practice with the weapons that I will have with me. This is just my humble opinion of course.

I see what you've been getting at now, Sasori-Te. Very good topic and points, thanks!

Something that has a tried and true, proven lineage of effectiveness that spans longer than a century and was passed down (usually familially) without little change or deviation from the progenitors intent (self-preservation or protection). In essence 2% of the arts out there. Classical or otherwise.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

Something that has a tried and true, proven lineage of effectiveness that spans longer than a century and was passed down (usually familially) without little change or deviation from the progenitors intent (self-preservation or protection). In essence 2% of the arts out there. Classical or otherwise.

Yeah, I basically agree, although it may be closer to 1% !!

Ahh Hohan, you're getting at the heart of it now. Proven. How would any of us know the historical effectiveness of our respective arts? What is written? Word of mouth? Bottom line is, if you weren't there you can't know for sure. and, I'm not really sure why everyone thinks because something is older that it must be better. Or because it was originally an Asian that introduced the art that it must be better. I like the Shorin Ryu style but it's not because of where or when it came from. It's because of my experience with the effectiveness of the techniques (for me personally). The bottom line is, any art is worthless if you can't make it work for you. You have to make it your art. But that is my opinion.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.