• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is "traditional" martial arts?

Sasori_Te

Which weapon set would be in the best tradition of karate?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which weapon set would be in the best tradition of karate?

• A) Weapons such as the bo, kama, tonfa...etc?
    • B) Weapons like the cane, 3 inch knife, kubotan and other legal carry weapons?

I would like to pose the question, What is "traditional" martial arts? Is it wearing a gi and bowing to one another before we go up and down the floor melting with sweat? Is it practicing swordsmanship, bo, kama, tonfa, nunchaku etc....? I already have my personal view on this matter. I just want to know what everyone else thinks.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well, I do think that traditional MAs do involve traditional apparel (ie gi, bare feet, etc). I also think that any traditional art will be primarily focused on kata, not on street fighting, at least at first. There should be a spiritual component as well. And, of course, it can't have just been made up by someone in the last 10 years.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

I don't want to get traditional confused with classical. What I mean is...What would you think the past masters would consider traditions of Karate and other martial arts? Also, using this line of thinking, please explain to me why a martial art made up within the last 10 years can't be traditional. I agree it isn't classical but what about traditional?

I think for personal defense would be more useful to learn modern weapons as knives... but to respect the tradition the old training it is better, an important thing to be observed when with traditional weapons is that in a situation of real combat would be difficult to find a sword or a stick of 1,80m and also same if you are carried a sword would not be well seen by the society...

I am green belt of Shotokan :karate: and Goju-ryu :karate: haul of having practiced capoeira

"Someday, I'll be the most powerfull jedi ever..."

what traditions were you referring to? Traditional training has hit an all-time low since many of the MA teachers have become 'americanized' and are now teaching to suit people so they can best keep an income. Hence there is no longer the ultra conditioning very often, or much full contact sparring. (Im speaking in general)

Traditions as in dojo etiquette and such, isnt quite so bad, although that has slacked off many places as well. There is no longer the strong spiritual aspect most of the time, and the respect between pupils has changed to more of a respect for the belt than respect for the person.

Is that what you were looking for?

Patience is a grand- either you can learn it or I can make you learn it.

Let me clarify further ..... What do you consider to be the component that make up traditional martial arts. Notice I said traditional and not classical arts. I define classical arts as the original Okinawan arts such as Shuri Te, Naha Te, Tomari Te and so on. What traditions from these "foundation arts" should be brought forward to make up the newer arts, in your opinions. What do you think the old masters would want to see happening in the arts today?

Let me clarify further ..... What do you consider to be the component that make up traditional martial arts. Notice I said traditional and not classical arts. I define classical arts as the original Okinawan arts such as Shuri Te, Naha Te, Tomari Te and so on. What traditions from these "foundation arts" should be brought forward to make up the newer arts, in your opinions. What do you think the old masters would want to see happening in the arts today?

Being of the Naha Te lineage, I would say: Kata. kata, more kata. Basics, basics, more basics. Perfect every movement, understand every movement. Respect the history of your style. Train hard. Never give up.