• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts vs. Full Contact Sport Fighting

that said, i believe that the absolute best of the best feel that they have nothing to prove. what do they care if they beat up a sweaty guy in his underwear in a foam ring? now granted, i've never watched a UFC fight, or K-1, or PRIDE, or whatever it is y'all watch. heck, i'd never even heard of them until i came to this forum. but just from what i've heard and the fact that the fans are so hardcore about it makes me a little uneasy. and, as so many people have pointed out, they're are so many rules that yada yada you've all heard this argument before. if not, go around to one of the other dozen or so posts that have broken off to this topic. somewhere jerry love made a list of them.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe that the absolute best of the best feel that they have nothing to prove

But the large mojority of people would rather talk about how they are the best and they are to deadly to compete and such.

Mixed martial artists have a better chance on the street then we do. Why? Because they train 60 hours a week. Lets get somthing strait. Do you think because you know how to use a presure point attack your safe on the streets? LMAO. Are you even sure you could do that attack on a resisting oppenent? MMA is good because every thing that they do works in the ring and out of it.

so your point is that they train more?

if you think about that statement carefully, you will realise that it says a lot about how seriously you take your training...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

First of all, this is not the topic of this thread. The topic is the attitude of the competitors in these type events, not their MA of choice. On that note, one shouldn't assume that only the MMA stylists are the ones with the attitude. There are pleanty Kobra Kai type gung-ho traditionalists too.

Second, please show the appropriate respect for each other's MAs. If you've chosen one way to train, do not criticize what someone else's choice has been.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Mixed martial artists have a better chance on the street then we do. Why? Because they train 60 hours a week. Lets get somthing strait. Do you think because you know how to use a presure point attack your safe on the streets? LMAO. Are you even sure you could do that attack on a resisting oppenent? MMA is good because every thing that they do works in the ring and out of it.

There is definately truth in this argument. Anyone who trains full time is at an immediate advantage over someone who attendeds a karate class two nights a week. Of course I am not suggesting that members of this forum are not serious.

Keep an open mind

First let me differentiate between MMA’s and the people who play in the ring. The high-profile UFC type guys/gals are not the everyday normal people. Everyday normal people can’t take multiple blows to the head while trying to clinch without getting stood up or put down. Everyday normal people don’t train near the amount of time that these sports people put in … after all it’s their profession. Everyday normal people can’t afford to take the time to try a make someone submit when you don’t know who may interfere.

Now that we have gone there, TMA’s usually have a completely different mindset and are looking for something different than a MMA does. It could be spiritual or the desire to immerse themselves into a culture that they weren’t born too. Bottom line here is that TMA’s are more than just fighting. Everyone had their own reasons for practicing a TMA and they have more to give in that area than a MMA.

MMA’s either train for sport or train for self-defense. Of course, there is a big difference in what really happens on the street and what happens in a MMA class. Fights don’t usually go to the ground after you get out of school and like I have said before, the sucker punch is king … not the takedown. While I respect grapplers (Judo among others myself), if grappling was the king of all fighting then the striking arts would never have flourished like they have for thousands of years. There is a reason for that.

I think you can learn to fight very well in both schools. MMA’s tend to be the “jack of all trades master of none” type of school where TMA’s tend to focus on a particular area. IMHO, MMA’s are more well rounded and would probably be able to handle a greater variety of threats than a TMA could. At the same time, a Master in Karate could probably punch better, a Judo Master could probably do better takedowns and a TKD Master could probably kick better. Either way, when it all comes down to it, a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick and it’s not what the art can do but what you can do with the art.

Wrestling, Tai Chi, Judo, Isshinryu, Tang Soo Do

after 35 years I haven't mastered a single one.

"Either way, when it all comes down to it, a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick and it’s not what the art can do but what you can do with the art."

couldn't have said it better :) just so i have a better ground to stand on when i'm in these discussions with y'all, how would i go about watching some of these? i don't wanna spend to much money on them, they don't seem like something i'd enjoy enough to watch that often. but, like, if i went to the local family video would they have some tapes or do i have to find a friend who gets 'em off of paper view or... :-?

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai