• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is The Most Common Misconception about your style?

Well, there's a lot of misconceptions about TKD...three being that:

1. We do nothing but kick.

2. We are completely sport-oriented with no realistic training; it's all for tournaments.

and

3. All TKD schools are McDojos.

These misconceptions may be true in some cases, but they are definitely not the standard.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this isnt really about any particular style but where i'm from

EVERY STYLE in martial arts is called karate

it's actually very annoying when u say muay thai and when somebody ask u about a week later its transformed into karate

(by the way in case u havent guessed i'm from the south)

Cody

white belt in everything

Not really anything specific, but it must be people dissing Kata's and Forms when they know nothing about them. if they know about them, and say "i think its crap, but thats only me" its fine. when people go out of their way to make a point of not only saying "its all rubbish", but saying you're silly for doing it - it makes me want to sufficate them with a large head of lettice :evil:

That the average aikidoka is, a limp wristed granola muncher.

Kendo is like starwars and everyone gets to be Darth Vader.

"Luke, I am your sensei"

:lol: - "whutcha gunna do? all y'all TKD practitioners can't do nothin but kick and yell. as if you could get a kick to my head without me seein it a mile away"

then after throwing a silent fake... the facial expression changes to :o

i get the above mentioned from people who don't practice martial arts and check out a class or two.

BUT... the most common thing i've been dealing with is from fellow students.

i'm part of a martial arts club at my university, so there are some karate people, and some korean stylists. actually... that's it. either japanese or korean.

and the japanese fighters always accuse the korean fighters of having no power. and korean fighters say that sparring with a japanese fighter, means you have to look out for nothing but a reverse punch. lol, which i find kinda funny. but yah.

oh. and people calling martial arts in general "karate" gets really annoying.

k, that's my blurb.

that karate does not work on big attackers. and that aint nothing anybody born in the 50s or 60s always calls any martial art kung fu or judo and when they see you they do that annoy bruce lee thing whaaa. i do not have a name everybody always calls me karate boy and that i can't stand.

falcon kick!!!

when i was talking to someone that is a general friend of a friend, i said i was going to take up TKD... he said

"you puff, you dont want to sit there like a balet girl and do whimpy kicks. you want to do something like karate so you learn to punch... how many times in a fight do you see people kick?!"

which i replied " i can punch alright actually"

and he kept pushing me and pushing me, and saying "go on! just hit me! bet i dont even go to the floor" and just wouldnt stop nagging.

i'd just turned 16 at the time, so i didnt have much self control. turned around and got him clean in the jaw. after doing this i told him my brother had been teaching me to box for 4 years :D lol... he never did speak to me again :roll: