• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is The Most Common Misconception about your style?

Title says it....what do year hear alot that is a big misconception about your stlye/stlyes.

My Main Stlye being Krav Maga...I hear lots of people talking about how it's nothing more than biting/eye gouging and groin strikes...definetly not an educated opinion.

Remember these are things that are untrue :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My style Preying mantis kungfu and kungfu in general. That its not effective in sparring and streetfighting lol quite the contrary.

Im great you are not

My style Preying mantis kungfu and kungfu in general. That its not effective in sparring and streetfighting lol quite the contrary.

Of course. Praying Mantis kungfu has always been fascinating to me - especially your use of the crane strike so creatively - entrapments and jointlocks and such. I'd bet that alone is damn effective.

Black Belt (Or, Sash i should say) - 2nd Degree - Wu Shu & Wing Chun Kung Fu

Black Belt - 1st degree - Shuri Ryu Karate

Black Belt - 1st degree - Okinawan Kobudo

Black Belt - 1st degree - Tomikki Aikido

Black Belt - 2nd degree - Jujitsu

Tai Chi Chuan Practicioner

Muay Thai Practicioner

karate - not really sure. think karate is one of the most well known of the martial arts among non-martial-artists, so i think all the common misconceptions about MAs in general apply here.

kendo - a lot of people seem to think that kendo is like star wars lightsaber fighting. sometimes i've invited friends to come and watch a kendo class, and afterwards they're like 'what?! you don't spin around and somersault in the air and stuff?!' the only sword combat people see these days is at the movies, which is totally unrealistic. they are then shocked by the apparent simplicity of real sword fighting, whose complexity is in subtle feints that you don't get in the movies.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

When I mention that I practice Jiu-Jitsu most people automatically think Brazilian JJ and that we spend 95% of the time on the ground. I guess you can credit the effectiveness of BJJ in the UFC and great marketing by the Gracies. The style of JJ I practice is probably 80% stand-up with 20% of the focus on ground fighting techniques.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

With me, the instant I tell people that I practice a modern "American" art, its instantly less effective than practically everything else...heh...

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

I think people believe they can take 2 Jujitsu classes and be the next Teto. The basics are so dull, learned to fall takes time, and throwing isn’t easy either. I think people start to get discouraged when they get there yellow belts and still can’t face Teto. Jui Jitsu has been getting pretty popular with the UFC getting to popular but people don’t understand Jui Jitsu take TIME to learn!

That it won't work as good as a MMA for SD.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."