• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata: What does it mean to your style?

Sasori_Te

My Orthodox kata is everything. That diluted stuff is almost worthless for passing on real techs and fighting principles.

So, uhh, Beer Monster (btw beer/liquor sucks and is killing those precious neurons that help you to understand life and karate) what some know is more useful than what others think they know.

Yeah alcohol and the western warrior culture go hand-in-hand. That's why the world isn't F'ed up....

Whoa there buddy - don't go knocking beer! Its your choice to partake or not, don't judge the others. Besides, it is not 'western warrior culture' only. It started long before. Read some history of ancient Japan or China. "The sword of no-sword" is a good enlightening read, if you care to enlighten yourself.

The point is: get off your high horse and show respect for your peers. The tone of your post is what sucks. (IMHO) :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um..Beer-monster is just a pen name. I'm not a raging acoholic (though I enjoy a drink in moderation)

What does alcohol have to do with anything...I never mentioned it.

"What some know is better than what others think they know"

Your point being? What you know and believe to use in your training is more importants than any criticism of your methods if you know it works. Which is a touchy subjecty since how do any of us know what works?

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Hohan-1, I'm neither defending or suppoerting your opinion, but shouldn't we point those perceptions at ourself before we point them at someone else. I agree, we can all become brainwashed, including you. We are all "Westerners" trying to figure out an ancient art by stumbling around in semi-darkness. That's why were here talking to one another. I don't recall Hakutsurukan being a classical style, therefore it too must be a Western interpretation of what we think karate is supposed to be. Hakutsurukan, White Crane style, if I'm correct in my translation, is it more akin to the Southern Chinese boxing styles? Just curious. To each his own and good luck to us all, God knows we'll need it in a real fight anyway. P.S. Are you a Okinawan and karate historian that you're so sure that the katas that you practice are the exact ones that were passed down by the old masters without changes being made by someone else? I've done tons of research and I'm more unsure now than I was when I started. But I'm lucky I think. At least I realize I don't know. ;-)

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.