• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata: What does it mean to your style?

Sasori_Te

I am wondering how different styles and students of those styles view the importance of kata. I've been studying martial arts for over 14 years and my appreciation for kata only grows. What does kata mean to you and how do you utilize what it has to teach. I would enjoy hearing anyone's answer to this post. Thank you.

Karate Ni Sente Nashi

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything.

Kata is what MA is all about. Exercise, Focus, Fighting Techinques, Balance, Breathing, Speed, Power, Relaxation, developing Ki. You name it you can find it in kata and better it by kata practice.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I practice the Art of Hon-SHin-Do which has its roots in Okinawan Shorie Ryu. The following is from our handbook, we believe kata is the foundation to learning Martial Arts. In our opinion of course. :)

KATAS OF HON-SHIN-DO:

The Katas of Hon-Shin-Do are the essence of karate, without them karate would be the mere learning of various fighting and self-defense techniques, expressing nothing and allowing for no aesthetic development. Katas are the distilled concentrated wisdom, understanding, and experience of hundreds of great karate peak awareness. When one begins to understand them one glimpses a new world of untold internal riches. The primary meaning of the Kata is for the performer himself. If he is unable to immerse himself in the Kata and so release his emotions, or life force, a master will say of the performer that he is still "in the dance," that is, unable to emote or express his feelings at will. This poignant karate saying has an even more profound meaning when the sensei refers to a student "coming out of the dance." This is the highest compliment one can receive. The eventual perfection of the Katas leads not only to mastery of the basic forms, but also to physical and spiritual sensitivity and to complete control of all parts of the body.

A good karateka first develops his Katas to perfection and later perfects his Jul-Kumite (sparring) ability.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Kata for 15 years.

Dissected and annalysed them to death.

Can show countless applications to every move.

What it means after all that? It's like a cultural dance, little more then that. No real benefit for learning to fight and can be counterproductive if functional skills are your goal.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

"Martial arts progresses from Kata to kumite to combat." Hironori Otsuka.

It is the basis for skill in karate, however its best to know master 3 kata than know 10 sort of as the modern karate syllabus is based.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Everything.

Kata is what MA is all about. Exercise, Focus, Fighting Techinques, Balance, Breathing, Speed, Power, Relaxation, developing Ki. You name it you can find it in kata and better it by kata practice.

Couldn't agree more.

Kata for 15 years.

Dissected and annalysed them to death.

Can show countless applications to every move.

What it means after all that? It's like a cultural dance, little more then that. No real benefit for learning to fight and can be counterproductive if functional skills are your goal.

With all due respect, only 15 years and you've already rendered your Kata useless? I'm thinking maybe your Sensei could show you more? I've seen people with more than twice that experience constantly struggling to better their first Kata. Please take no offense, we just must have a totally different perception of what Kata are about. In our very traditional organization, they are everything.

I am just beginning my journey in martial arts, but I've already come to the realization that some only care about the "fighting" aspect of martial arts.

I don't have anything against those that choose to narrow their focus like this, but I find it amusing that my Grand Master with over 40 years experience teaching, (and probably too the Grand Masters of many other Martial Arts) does find Katas (or "Hyungs" in Korean) very beneficial to the martial artist, even in the practical application.

No matter how good I think I have become, I will always defer to my Grand Master on whether Hyungs are useless or not, even for just the fighting aspect.

:)

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I am of the firm belief that you don't have karate without kata. After 14 years, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of my kata practice. I wrote this question to better see the varying views that I have observed in dojos all over the United States. Just as I had hoped, I'm having my observations confirmed by the answers to this post.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.